Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Default plumbing question

We just bought a 1996 2896B HI-LO, I think we are going to like it. I do have a question about the city water hookup though. There are 2 hose hook ups for city water, 1 at the front where the city water hook up is behind the lock door and the other is on the left side on the outside of the bathroom. Can anyone give me a clue?

Howard and Gert Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #2

The hose connection behind the locked door is the one to fill your fresh water tank. The one outside the bathroom is probably a hook up for a black water tank flush system. I'm just guessing on the second hook up.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

The one on the outside should be the city water hookup, it bypasses the water tank and pump. I guess you just need to hook a hose to it and see what happens.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #4

You are correct Rich. Don't know what I was thinking about when I responded. Must have been having a senior moment Guess the outside bathroom location threw me off. My city water hookup is on the front left side. That is what I love about this forum, there is someone there to set you straight.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
You are correct Rich. Don't know what I was thinking about when I responded. Must have been having a senior moment Guess the outside bathroom location threw me off. My city water hookup is on the front left side. That is what I love about this forum, there is someone there to set you straight.

Bob
You could be right about there being a connection for something else ,but I don't believe it would have been a HiLo option.

To Howard and Gert, Welcome to the Forum.

I believe the fill behind the locked door is a gravity fill access rather than a hose connection.

Also, you will want to sanitize the water system before using it, not knowing when it was done before. For a thirty gallon tank you will want to add a half cup of plain unscented bleach and fill the tank and then pump the treated water through the plumbing system. Leave it sit about a half day then drain and refill with plain water and flush through. Add the bleach by putting it into a gallon of water then pour it into the tank, that prevents full strength bleach from contacting parts that may react to it.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Site Team

I agree, the locked door is the "gravity feed" point, where you fill the tanks. The one with hose threads bypasses the fresh water tank (but it does fill the hot water tank).

I'll add something to what Rich said about bleach to disinfect the tanks and lines. Make sure you fill the fresh water tank to about 10 gallons BEFORE you add bleach. This will fill the hot water tank too. If you put the mix of bleach and water into an EMPTY system, it will ALL go into the hot water tank, because it fills first (at least on my trailer). Now, run both the hot and cold water to circulate bleach through the entire system (the hot water tank refills from the fresh water tank as long as it is not empty). This is a safety feature to keep you from heating an "empty" hot water tank, which would destroy it.

- Jack
Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I agree, the locked door is the "gravity feed" point, where you fill the tanks. The one with hose threads bypasses the fresh water tank (but it does fill the hot water tank).

I'll add something to what Rich said about bleach to disinfect the tanks and lines. Make sure you fill the fresh water tank to about 10 gallons BEFORE you add bleach. This will fill the hot water tank too. If you put the mix of bleach and water into an EMPTY system, it will ALL go into the hot water tank, because it fills first (at least on my trailer). Now, run both the hot and cold water to circulate bleach through the entire system (the hot water tank refills from the fresh water tank as long as it is not empty). This is a safety feature to keep you from heating an "empty" hot water tank, which would destroy it.

- Jack
Thanks Jack! Good point! There is an option, keep the water heater bypass open and fill the rest of the lines. After the lines are all flushed then open the bypass and fill the heater with fresh water. This will not sanitize the heater, but heating the water will do a pretty good job of sanitizing.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
sam

Default Plumbing question

Do a google search for camping world and order a master catalog. Look under the water fillsection (hoses.) We have a special filler piece that fits into the gravity hole nicely. I will be at my HiLo tomorrow doing our restoration work. I will ,take a picture and post for you. Help is on the way.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
howard and gert