Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #1

Default question about cleaning my used trailer for the first time

Hi Everyone!

Now that we have made it through the holidays I am very excited to get our Hi-Lo all cleaned up. It is over 20 years old and has given many family's lots of good fun and now it is time to me to give it a good scrubdown and get it spic and span clean.

Is it ok if I clean the sink, toilet, and shower with Lysol and some of it goes down the drains into the holding tanks?

Have you ever cleaned your cushions? How did you do it? I was going to try washing the cushion covers in delicate in the washing machine and then letting them air dry. Then I was going to use the air compressor to blow the dust out of the foam.

Is there anything special I should do about the holding tanks, hot water heater, furnace/heater, or anything else that I haven't thought of?

Any suggestions or tips anyone has for cleaning it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cheryl

inthepink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepink View Post
Hi Everyone!

Now that we have made it through the holidays I am very excited to get our Hi-Lo all cleaned up. It is over 20 years old and has given many family's lots of good fun and now it is time to me to give it a good scrubdown and get it spic and span clean.

Is it ok if I clean the sink, toilet, and shower with Lysol and some of it goes down the drains into the holding tanks?

Have you ever cleaned your cushions? How did you do it? I was going to try washing the cushion covers in delicate in the washing machine and then letting them air dry. Then I was going to use the air compressor to blow the dust out of the foam.

Is there anything special I should do about the holding tanks, hot water heater, furnace/heater, or anything else that I haven't thought of?

Any suggestions or tips anyone has for cleaning it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cheryl
Good info.

How to Clean a Camping Trailer | eHow.com

How to Clean a Travel Trailer | eHow.com

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
sam

Default Cleaning your HiLo

My computer was acting up and I just got discharged from another three day stay in the hospital. The links you were given are pretty good advice for cleaning the trailer. I would clean the trailer much like you would your house. I use Lysol cleaner to do the Rv bathroom. It hasn't hurt if a little goes down in the holding tank. I will never forget cleaning every inch of the Rv when we got it 11 years ago. Your plan to the wash the dinette cushions on delicate should work. I had some one come in and shampoo the interior couches,rugs and cushions. Our dealer paid for half of it. I haven't felt the need to do it since. If I did I would use my steam cleaner machine. Keep plenty of rugs on the floors. Better to vaccum a rug than replace a floor. I would advise you to youse a specific product for your roof. Rubber roof cleaner if rubber. We like gel gloss for the fibeglass exterior. The thing is that 100 people will tell you their favorite Rv cleaners and they all will work. Check out some of the products at Walmart. Toilet chemicals. You could check out the cleaning products on the internet,Camping world ect. Have your dh lubricate the calbes,spray the exterior guide rails. Does the Rv have a power jack.? When you get a chance have dh scrape and replace every bit of exterior caulk with Lexell caulk. We kept inspecting ours and it looked sound and it really wasn't. Remove all the windows and reseal with butyl tape reinstall and caulk exterior. A lot of work but will pay great dividends in a pouring rainstorm or cold weather. Vaccum out the water tank and furnice compartment.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #4

We cleaned every surface and cabinet inside and out with Mr. Clean when we bought it even though it was clean - and after we found mice in it. I clean the bathroom sink, tub and toilet with a foaming cleaner - not an abrasive one. Mr. Clean on the counters, fridge and floor- take the top off the stove and clean all of it, too. Murphy's oil on the cabinets. Our cushions I spray with upholstery cleaner and vacuum. They are plastic on 2 sides - I guess for days you are at a lake of the ocean so I can't wash them. I put a coat of scotchguard on the cushions once a year. Keeps the elderberry stains off it.
Pretty much as you would clean your house - just don't use comet of ajax.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #5

Sam, I am so sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. I hope that you are doing better now.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

Thank you, everyone for the great tips. I cleaned, as Rolff said, every surface - inside and out - with Lysol. I even scrubbed the ceiling and managed to get the foot pedal for the toilet clean. It was a big job but it feels so good now that it is done! After I got everything clean I went over the wood areas with something called Wood for Good by Method. I get it at Target and I love it. It just gives it this nice soft almond scent. Now that I am typing this I feel like that sounds weird, the fragrance of almond, but I am telling you, it is wonderful. I don't like perfumey smells and the trailer just smells so fresh and clean. My husband is out there right now shampooing the carpet and the couch cushions. That is the last thing major thing to do, aside from loadin' her up.

This morning my five-year-old and I went out and had cocoa and coffee out there and played UNO and pretended we were at a lake. Who knew pretending to camp could be so fun?

Thank you again, everyone!

Cheryl