Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 04-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #1

Default Refrigerator

Hi everyone We purchased a used Hi-Lo last fall. We did make our maiden voyage. To Allegany State Park which is about 18 miles from home. Before the Hi-Lo we had a 30 foot Holiday Rambler we loved. Anyway our Holiday had a large cpacity fridge in it and DW had no problems storing food in the refrigerator. My question is what do you folks do to keep food during your trips. Do you purchase 12 volt coolers. The fridge in our unit is so small I dont think a six-pak will fit. Suggestions?

RJtheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
Site Team

We supplement the refrigerator with a high quality cooler and block ice, which we have to buy about every 3 days. The cooler lives in the bed of my truck under a cap, so it's safe from bears. We try to limit the times we need to open the cooler through planning. As the fridge empties, cooler items are moved into it.

- Jack

Old 04-20-2020, 10:47 PM   #3
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

Greetings from Niagara Falls,NY. We our on our second HiLo 26RD Classic. I have been to Allegany state Park many times. Here is what i do. Light the HiLo Ref. up on propane one day before departing. I write out a menue and shop/cook beforew we leave. All foods are chilled at home. Then I put food in ref. and turn off propane as part of our departure check list. Food stays reasonably cold.while traveling. We also bring a cooler with frozen bottled/filtered water and any extra food that doesn't fit in the ref. Weekend camping with our club gives us plenty of room that no cooler is needed. Longer trips we have a cooler. Hope this gives you some ideas. I put some ice packs in the freezer that can be refrozen. I also have ice cube trays in the HiLo that can be filled. I start out with a zip lock bag of ice cubes from home.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #4

We still use our 12v cooler with 110v adapter to supplement our fridge. Back in our tent trailer days we utilized coolers with dry ice to keep things cold. The dry ice lasts far longer than regular ice and doesn’t get things wet when it “melts”.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
Site Team

Bob, does dry ice cause the food to freeze? We use block ice (when we can get it) because it lasts longer than cubes too, but dry ice seems a good alternative.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #6

Jack, I don’t recall the dry ice ever freezing our food. The dry ice was always wrapped in newspaper to prevent touching a person’s skin. It did keep things cold. We had a true ice box, not a fridge, in our tent trailer plus I used it in our coolers.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #7

Dry ice is aprox -109 degrees F so it will freeze anything if you use enough of it. To help my fridg out when on the road I put a small piece in the freezer and a larger piece in the fridg compartment. When I do this on a full day travel I don't have to worry about the battery power when I go to raise the top. Most large supermarkets carry it now. We also have used a lot of block ice also over the years.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:22 PM   #8
sam

Default Rjthe DJ

I sent you a private message.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #9

We lived in our trailer and never had a problem! Meal planning?!
Elaine and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #10

thanks everyone . I plan on alot of traveling and will try to get my hands on a 12 volt cooler.I have yet to boondock but with the covid thing who knows.

RJtheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote