Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #1

Default replace black water tank

was just told my black water tank is cracked! HELP replace, seal it, where to find one? I have a 1709. the RV repair is talking taking out the shower pan to get to it? but so far we have not found one. is there a solution to fix this? I need all the help I can get. they are charging $ 150 per hour!

hzel44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Team

If you can get to the cracked area, I think you can repair it (yourself). After cleaning the surface, paint the crack and the area around it with ABS plastic cement. (You can get this in Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Then with the cement still wet, push in sections of fiberglass cloth cut to cover the crack and the area around it. Follow with another coat of ABS cement to cover the fibertglass and bond it to the tank.

I had a crack around the collar where the drain pipe comes out of the black tank and this is the way I repaired it. In my case, after the first repair had cured for about 24 hours, I repeated the process with another coat of ABS cement and more fiberglass strips. It has not leaked at all since I made this repair.

The collar at the black tank drain is a weak area and cracks develop there due to minor flexing of the drain pipe against the tank. This may be where yours is cracked. It's really an easy fix.

- Jack

Old 08-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #3

Question thank you Jack

I will give it a try. Fiberglass cloth? Will I find it close to the ABS Cement.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
sam

Default Fiber glass cloth.

You can find the cloth at Walmart. Automotive stores will also carry it. My DD works at Home Depot. In the morning a greeter should be at the door to tell you what isle to find what you are looking for.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:06 PM   #5
Site Team

My Home Depot also has the fiberglass cloth. It will add structural strength to the area that is cracked, and will prevent the crack from spreading. You should find it where they have automotive supplies (such as Bondo, for dent repair.) The ABS cement will be in plumbing, along with black ABS pipe.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #6

Thumbs up black tank

Just picked up the trailer from the RV repair. The Crack is at the Collar of the Black Tank Drain. Just like Jack said. Thank you all for the Info and tutoring on how to fix it! I will give it a shot.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Super! Just clean and paint that area with the ABS cement, reinforcing with fiberglass. Some members have also added some support for the drain pipe that secures it to the trailer frame. This would stop the movement of the drain against the tank that causes the crack. I was going to do this myself, but it's been SOO damned hot here, and I've just not gotten around to it. My ABS repair seems to have fixed it anyway.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #8

Reading and learning.
Saulpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #9

Default plastic welding

I got a plastic welder (soldering iron) at harbor freight and some black pvc pipe and melted the pvc pipe over the crack to seal it. I cut the pipe up in small pieces. The tank has to be dry for it to work. Mine has held for 3 or 4 years
lincow
lincow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzel44 View Post
was just told my black water tank is cracked! HELP replace, seal it, where to find one? I have a 1709. the RV repair is talking taking out the shower pan to get to it? but so far we have not found one. is there a solution to fix this? I need all the help I can get. they are charging $ 150 per hour!
i use fiberglass screen for windows and it works great
T A Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:16 PM   #11

Default try this

Same problem here. There is an epoxy that works great for ABS, and the kit also has fiberglas. You can find it at Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Note - this stuff cures pretty fast, so have everything ready before mixing the epoxy. I have fixed both the tank body (rock) and the drain connection to the tank. Both are great after several years.

txhillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote