Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-21-2014, 05:03 AM   #1

Default Retaining bolts for the front window cover

On my 17T the bolts that hold the front window cover up are difficult to tighten with the wing nuts. You kind of have to hold the bolt with one hand and tighten the wing nut with the other. I would like to replace them before we leave on our 3 week summer vacation to Charleston, SC then off to the Outer Banks, and a short visit with my son's family in MD. I have nothing but total respect for my Hi-Lo since I purchased it. I am still getting the hang of leveling it before raising the upper half. But am really trying to bring it back to original condition not that it needs much just adjusting it to our needs. Built 2 drawers into the large cabinet that houses the hydraulic switch to store clothes in. Really neat to have and it is so adaptable to new ideas. Thank you everyone for your advice and help just wanted you to know it does not go unnoticed!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo Mackinaw City, MI August 2013.jpg (54.6 KB, 14 views)

Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmouser View Post
On my 17T the bolts that hold the front window cover up are difficult to tighten with the wing nuts. You kind of have to hold the bolt with one hand and tighten the wing nut with the other. I would like to replace them before we leave on our 3 week summer vacation to Charleston, SC then off to the Outer Banks, and a short visit with my son's family in MD. I have nothing but total respect for my Hi-Lo since I purchased it. I am still getting the hang of leveling it before raising the upper half. But am really trying to bring it back to original condition not that it needs much just adjusting it to our needs. Built 2 drawers into the large cabinet that houses the hydraulic switch to store clothes in. Really neat to have and it is so adaptable to new ideas. Thank you everyone for your advice and help just wanted you to know it does not go unnoticed!!
Hi ratmouser,

Your rockguard must have a different bolt system than mine, which is more of a spring loaded bolt setup. Hopefully others can advise you. Regarding leveling, do you have the little stick-on levels on the exterior of the trailer?

Any photos on the cabinet mod?

Enjoy your vacation!

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmouser View Post
On my 06 towlite front rockguard/awning I used 1/4" stainless steel bolts and ground down the head of the bolt to slip into the channel. By doing this, it prevents the bolt from spinning while tightening the wing nut.Also by going this, I ended up with larger wing nuts which are easier to adjust
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Site Team

I did something similar. I replaced my bolts with stainless hardware and then I THINK I anchored the bolts to the struts with JB Weld, so they wouldn't turn or fall off. You don't have to turn the wing nut very tightly to hold the rock shield up, so this method has worked well for me.

I'm not absolutely certain I anchored them with JB Weld, and I'm in Tucson for a few days, so I can't go check the trailer, which is at my home in Pine. However, I think that's how I did it.

- Jack
Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #5

One thing about JB Weld, you can stick a drum stick to a wet glass of water and make it pry loose a man hole cover.....
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote