Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #1

Default Rivet for awning inside slider arm

I have received a new lock slide from the dealer that needs to be riveted to the extension support arm on my hi-lo 17T. I have not done this before. When I brought it home from the dealer and went to set the awning the inside arm that goes along the top of the awning that locks into place slider was broken. They sent me a new slide kit but the rivet does not have the end that goes into it from the outside to flange the rivet. The extension arm was stuck and did not drop when I pulled the awning down. What type of rivet tool do I need to flange the rivet for the slider? Any suggestions?

IMG_0289b.jpg

Here is the photo of its current condition.
I need to change the aluminum slide piece and flange the new rivet.
Hope the photo helps. :-(

Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #2

A photo may help us figure out what you're referring to.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

You need a tool that is like what is used for doing the same thing with metal grommets. They are called hand rivet clinchers. Hand Rivet Clinchers : Cleco : Hanson Rivet & Supply Co. Inc. My dealer friend got a set of them from the Coleman factory cleanout. A large center punch may do it for you, but not as neatly.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #4

Thank you very much! :-)
Old 08-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #5

Default setting it

Ok, this might not work in this case but something to think about. I've had to set a few interesting rivets in a few special places. First doing this remember that you need to back the rivet up on the other side... What I've done to set a "special" rivet in a special way is to take an air chisel and grind one of the tips to what I needed (see pics in catalog in above post) then put the ground tip into the air chisel gun and given it a few shots and flatten the river head as needed. This way if I need to I can reach into something up to 3 inches deep and have have the end of the rivet as I needed it. Round or flat or ??

Later Tim
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #6

Thanks Tim, I bought a chisel set yesterday with over sized punch tools with varying tips. Due to the lack of an air compressor. I am going to put it on my work bench and flare the rivet. Will try this tomorrow when I bring the rv home for my trip up to Mackinac City with my children. They are on their way to Michigan from Oklahoma.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #7

Default Good Luck

Good Luck with setting the rivet. May you have super safe travels and a great time with your children.

Later Tim
Old 08-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #8

Flared the rivet, Hi-Lo performed spectacularly! Spent 4 days in Mackinac City KOA. Temps in the 70's lows in the high 40's to 50's. Did not have to use the A/C one time! Heater performed excellent! One question to the forum, while raising the unit the cables squealed and bringing it down. I greased the hydro rod, wd-40' ed the pulleys. Of course when I brought the unit home from the dealer the hydro rod was rusty and I steel wooled it before applying the lithium grease to the rod. There looks like there might be air in the hydro lines, not sure if there is suppose to be sections without fluid in it. There are some clear area's in the line. I am guessing it needs to be bled?

Refrigerator circulation fan worked as normal. Had the setting on Max and froze the lunch meat on the second shelf. LOL.

Next time the unit comes to the house it is time to winterize it. Wife says we are going to jack up the unit and get the tires off the ground and tarp it for the winter. There are a couple of small gaps in the seal between the upper and lower part of the unit. Suggestions for filling them in. They are small but maybe some weather stripping will work.

Just a quick pic of the unit set up at the camp site! Whoo hoo!
Had a great time!

School starts after labor day and we teachers must return on the 8/27. So the next time we meet with our Hi-Lo will be spring break in April.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0238.jpg (97.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #9

Default time

Looks like you had a great time. Well school for teachers. Our son started back several weeks ago and my wife and daughter started last week. What can be said.
But looks like you had a great time.

Might want more info on jacking the unit up till the tires are off the ground. Something about springing the frame of the trailer. Or so I think that I've read. Double check that one before you do it. Also a lot of folks put the support stands in the wrong places. Double check your manual as to where they go. I've seen several pics on this site with them in the wrong places.

We were at a park on Saturday due to the rain it got down to about mid 80's.

Later Tim
Old 08-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
sam

Default proper winter storage

No need to jack the trailer up with tires off the ground. Just purchase a set of tire covers. These should be going on sale in the fall. Invest in a good sunbrella cover. Tarps(blue) and other kinds of tarps are a big no,no!! They trap water and moisture and will ruin the exterior of your HiLo.Shop the internet for the best prices.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #11

Thanks for the good information. I will block the wheels so they are not on the ground. Will shop for a cover the Hi-Lo. Any suggestions on the squealing noise when raising and lowering the unit?

Mike
Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #12

Default Maintance

There is lots of info for maintance found in previous posts in archives. Quickly though you should lubricate cables with a good quality lubricant. Where is the noise coming from? You may need several people around when raising and lowering to narrow down location of noise. My lines have always had pockets of air with no problems in movement. Go to a hardware store and get 6' sticks of 1/2" pipe insulation. It will work great to fill any voids on seal. Easy to install and remove.
Brad Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #13

Thanks Brad
Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
sam

Default squealing noise when raising the HiLo

DH lubricates the guides,exterior. We also have a squealing noise when the RV is raised. This is normal for our unit.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote