Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Roof repair advice

I've had my hi lo since late March early April

I went to a geocaching event in late April

While there about a 4 foot limb (stick) fell from a nearby tree and hit end first going straight through the roof
Leaving a 1-1/2 inch hole

My thoughts on repair
Tell me what yall think

Step 1 glue a piece of sheet metal over the hole to reinforce it and spray foam the hole from the inside

Step 2 remove all hatches ac everything out of the way to coat the roof

Step 3 1 coat of black jack white roof coating 10 year and let dry recommended 24 hr

Step 4 for added protecting from future puncture cut down a 50x4 foot roll of 1/2 inch square chicken wire
Since my camper roof is 22 foot by 7 foot 10 inches I should end up with 2 inch over lap

Step 5 with all openings cut out in chicken wire put down 2 more coats of rubber roof coating over chicken wire waiting atleast 24 hrs between coats

Step 6 reinstall ac and hatches

My thoughts are that the chicken wire should catch any branches that hit the roof and spread out the impact instead of just punching straight through

Adamstone487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Chicken wire is pretty flimsy. Do you possibly mean "hardware cloth"?

On our first trip after buying our trailer, we saw one with a whole tree that had fallen on it during a storm near Durango, CO. There was clearly no way it was going to be salvaged. Fortunately, no one was in it at the time of the impact.

- Jack

Old 09-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

In my opinion repairing holes never seems to work well. The fix is usually temporary, and you end up with way more damage in the end. Replacing the roof would be a better, more long term solution.
MossyOakLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamstone487 View Post
I've had my hi lo since late March early April

I went to a geocaching event in late April

While there about a 4 foot limb (stick) fell from a nearby tree and hit end first going straight through the roof
Leaving a 1-1/2 inch hole

My thoughts on repair
Tell me what yall think

Step 1 glue a piece of sheet metal over the hole to reinforce it and spray foam the hole from the inside

Step 2 remove all hatches ac everything out of the way to coat the roof

Step 3 1 coat of black jack white roof coating 10 year and let dry recommended 24 hr

Step 4 for added protecting from future puncture cut down a 50x4 foot roll of 1/2 inch square chicken wire
Since my camper roof is 22 foot by 7 foot 10 inches I should end up with 2 inch over lap

Step 5 with all openings cut out in chicken wire put down 2 more coats of rubber roof coating over chicken wire waiting atleast 24 hrs between coats

Step 6 reinstall ac and hatches

My thoughts are that the chicken wire should catch any branches that hit the roof and spread out the impact instead of just punching straight through
IMO, you're going to end up with a mess.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #5

All I can do is try
Right now the hole is sealed with gorilla duct tape lol
It works but is by no means permanent
Just gotta do what I can afford and a sheet of rubber like is on there is way out of my budget
Old 09-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
sam

Default Roof repair

I'm no expert. When we bought our 25ft Classic it had a rubber roof patch on it. I assumed our HiLo dealer did this. It has never given us a problem since2001. Please call Jay Simon at Mantelli trailer sales. He will tell you exactly how to fix your problem. He is in parts. 1-716-625-8877. A few years ago we had a roof leak in a different spot and used Quick ROOF for rubber roofs. You just peel off release paper and press in place. 1Roll is 6inches x16ft. Building materials roofing supplies mobile home repair and deck supplies Cofair Products Inc. Pun intended...we have been high and dry for a number of years. Can't remember what we paid. It is certainly cheaper than a full rubber replacement kit. Jay will ship parts anywhere. Hope this helps.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #7

I think the odds of another branch are slim.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I think the odds of another branch are slim.
Slim maybe but I didn't think it would happen the first night out either
I had just bought it a couple weeks prior and still had no title or insurance plus still owed the guy I bought it from $400 before I could get the title
But that's how my luck works
Old 09-02-2015, 12:00 AM   #9

On my 94 towlite, I took off my silly TV roof antenna and was left with a similar hole. I just cut a peice of galvanized sheet metal into about a 8" diameter, ran a ring of butal tape about 1/2 inch from the edge and ran the screws that came out of the antenna back into it through the putty tape. I then coated the whole thing with some simple roof coating. I don't have a rubber coated roof to begin with and I could hardly make my trailer look any worse then it was already. I was just trying to remove clutter and eliminate future leak points. My top was already destroyed from previous leaking.

Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, hole, limb, repair, rubber roof