Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #1

Default Screw removal hell

Hi everyone, been over a year since I've been on here. Took a big trip to Europe last year and haven't worked on the Hilo in over a year. So I am back at it and removing all of the windows, trim and roof vents. Luckily, I have a pole barn to keep it dry. A lot of the screws that hold window, trim, etc. down are almost impossible to remove. They are the square head, steel screws and the heads strip very easily. I have tried drilling some of the worse one out and they are very hard. Have all of the windows out, but now starting on the roof vents and some trim that is prone to leaking. Anyone have any special techniques they use for these tough screws?
It is a 1978 24 ft. that had some leaks, so that is why I am removing everything and resealing.

photobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #2

I bought a square #2 screw driver that I beat into the seat of the square as I turn.. Generally it breaks off. Then I beat it more!! Later it comes out with damages. Or I use a nail set try to get it flat and drill out increasing size of bits. Hilo did not think about the future.

Ohio kills cars! Add more salt maybe we can melt the bridges.

The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #3

I had good luck with with my smaller milwaukee 1/4 impact driver...That ratty tat tat seems to bust them loose (most of time) just have a clean sq hole and tight fit bit.When you pull trigger and get a few impacts let of a second then hit it again a few times ...No gurantee...I got a Ryobi and Dewalt and it works too just be lite there std size
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #4

I agree that a impact driver is the way to do this. For some reason, it removes them without damage.
HiLoToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #5

I managed to get most out with my impact driver. The screws with stripped heads, may try cutting a notch with my osolating tool and use a slotted screwdriver.
photobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #6

sometimes holes deep enough and ya got a ease-out that fits it will work sometimes.or drill into center with exact size bit as the threads of screw...then go up one size screw when replaceing window...think about that before you do it but i think it should work.
your idea with osolating tool sound ok too...i call them my Magic Tool they got me out of more SPOTS than i have time to write down
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Site Team

Sometime you can have luck by TIGHTENING just a tad before you loosen.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote