Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Default Solar chargers

My camper has a large (in my mind) solar cell charger on the roof. I have no docs on it and know nothing about the campers history. I have some general questions ... and have been too lazy to research it ... so instead I'm asking this experienced audience ... how are these wired?

Does it goes directly to the battery? Or is there some kind of controller box interface between the two?

Signed, too lazy to trace it AND too lazy to research it.
Now how's that for admitting lazy culpability?

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

If the panel is about 18 x 12 inches it is a small panel. If it was factory installed the regulator is in the back of the fridge. You access it from the outside by removing the bottom vent to the fridge. It's not very big in size about 3 x 3 x 1/2 inches.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #3

Default too late and too dark

to measure it but my guesstimate is it's a 1 X 3 foot panel.

I one time peeked into the back side of the fridge and not generally knowing what I was looking at closed it back up.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
to measure it but my guesstimate is it's a 1 X 3 foot panel.

I one time peeked into the back side of the fridge and not generally knowing what I was looking at closed it back up.
That size of solar panel is a 15watt puts out about 1amp, designed to maintain the battery. It won't charge a drained battery in a day, may take a week if the battery is in good condition. The charge controller is a small box with wires and a led indicator light. The wiring is important part of the system, the smaller the gauge and the length of the wire the more resistist for the voltage to travel.
The factory installed my solar panel incorrectly, first they mixed different gauges of wire 18gauge and 14gauge, when they ran the length they took the longest route maybe because it was the easiest, with the charge controller behind the refrigerator and so far from the battery it didn't operate as it should.
I upgraded the system, I installed a 33watt panel (still a battery maintainer) at 2.3amps. I installed 10gauge wire , re-routed the wire and took half the length out of the run. Installed a better charge controller next to the batteries in a water tight box at the touge of the trailer. This worked for me, with led light bulbs I went 5 days on 2-12volt batteries.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #5

Not all HiLo's with solar panels came with regulators. Mine came with a off/on switch on the control panel with the other switches. I obtained a regulator and wired it direct to the battery.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 AM   #6

Default Solor

My solar pannel stopped working. I have a swithch on the pannel on the side of the refrigerator that has a lighted switch (when on) for the solar pannel. That has stopped lighting up.
Behind the refrigerator (I don't know what I'm looking for but) there is a yellow box. Could that be a controller for the solar pannel?
Thanks
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Papa, Could you post a picture of what you think is the solar regulator. Also the light in the switch may have gone bad and the panel could be still working. You need a volt meter to check voltage at the battery when the panel is in bright sun light. Turn the panel off and turn a light or something on that is 12 volts in the trailer for about 5 minutes, with no 110 shore power and no tow vehicle hooked up. Then turn it off check the battery voltage and while checking have someone turn the solar panel switch on, if the panel is working there will be an increase in voltage
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
My solar pannel stopped working. I have a swithch on the pannel on the side of the refrigerator that has a lighted switch (when on) for the solar pannel. That has stopped lighting up.
Behind the refrigerator (I don't know what I'm looking for but) there is a yellow box. Could that be a controller for the solar pannel?
Thanks
God Bless
Papa
Yes the small yellow box is the controller and should have a led light that is on when the panel is active.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #9

Default Solar

Rich,
Jim L has described what I think is the controller (?) for the solar pannel, but it does not have a red light. Hoping someone will tell me where to start troubleshooting. I assume it is wired (from Hi Lo) correctly but finding other items (refrigerator fan) having been changed out by the previous owner I don't think I should assume anything.
Thanks in advance if anyone has anything to share re troubleshooting and or fixing it.
Thanks and God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #10

I agree with Rich for checking. Use a multi meter when sun is out and you should notice a charging voltage at battery. I purchased a Watts Up" meter off amazon which is great at tracking amp hours and voltage and wired it into the circuit with quick disconnect plugs. My controller is pretty cheap and won't ever allow the voltage to get high enough to totally top off the battery.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote