Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-17-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Default Solenoid replacement

I have to replace the solenoid on my hydraulic pump. It looks pretty easy, but I need to know if I can change it with the top in the up position? There isn't much room to work with it down. Does anyone know, there isn't any fluid in there I wouldn't imagine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Carver - I've not had to replace my solenoid, but I can't see why you couldn't do it with the top up. That's certainly the way I'd do it.

However, I'd cut 4-2x4s to the same, appropriate length and place them between the 4 outriggers on the bottom half and the lower edge of the top half, lowering the top half on to them so that they support it BEFORE you start working on the solenoid. You can use duct tape to hold the 2x4s in position before you lower the top on to them. Once they are supporting the weight, you can be confident that the top will not suddenly drop on you while you are working. I would NOT depend on the safety bar to keep the top up for this work.

No, there's no fluid in the solenoid, but it IS connected directly to the battery, so that is another thing you should actually remove from the trailer before you start fooling around with the electrical connections at the solenoid. You could easily get around 50 Amps of current in a spark if you touched something wrong with the battery connected. Get it OUT of the trailer, so there's no danger of that happening.

If I've given any bad advice, someone will correct me, I'm sure.

- Jack

Old 05-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #3

Carver, just so everyone is clear, are you talking the solenoid that runs the pump motor, or the solenoid that lets the top come down?

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote