Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #1

Default Spider problem

Anyone have a suggestion for keeping spiders out of our Hi Lo. Any time it is parked for any period of time, the spiders have a field day.

Thanks for any help

Richard
S.A., Tx.
27' 03 Towlite
2002 F150

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #2

You might try setting off a bug bomb and leaving the hi-lo sealed up for a few days. Don't forget to clean the flat surfaces well afterwards.

Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #3

Default Spider problem

We do the bug bomb routine before each trip, but the little beggars have already done the web weaving that has to be cleaned up each trip. I
hope someone can suggest something that will discourage their unwanted
camping out. Also because of the close quarters the bombs leave a sticky
residue on all the flat and not so flat surface.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #4

All I can offer is sympathy. Sounds frustrating. My wife would never sleep ing it again.
Don't they sell some sort of glue traps for insects? We had some in our basement years ago.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Another thing to do is to treat the ground area around your trailer. I do that in addition to bug bombs. I haven't had a problem yet, although I did once almost bug bomb myself when I left a toilet chemical bottle in the trailer, traveled, it spilled, got to the camp ground, opened the door, took a wiff of that and had to let the trailer air out a little before I could lift it. I now use the drop ins. Live and learn.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
sam

Default Spider remedy

My uncle had an exterminating business.He would sell us a gallon of "stuff " to spray around my sisters house to get rid of excessive spiders. I would take an ant into an extermination place to identify and sell you the correct chemical to help with the ant problem.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

We've talked to our "Orkin" guy about this, at times in our house...

Spiders are hard to get, the insecticide has to touch the spiders, because unlike other bugs, spiders dont lick thier feet like other insects do, so what usually kills spiders is the bug they ate, recently licked its feet, after going through whatever chem you laid out for them.

Bug bombs were discussed, as well as dilligent manual killings. BTW, if you bomb, you need to empty trailer of EVERYTHING, OPEN EVERY DOOR AND DRAWER (I excluded the fridge since they were not in there), you might need to tape around the bottom of top and top of bottom of Hilo, to get a better seal, so bomb will saturate into behind cabinets instead of leaking out places! you may have to try to spot spray in places like behind fridge and other places where they can hang out...

ALso do only set one off, after you make sure ANY source of flame or spark is turned off! let is sit overnight sealed up (best if locked of course so you dont kill any idiot that tries to sneek in) then air out next day

Another bet is sticky traps, lots of them, to start thinning the heards, I have a feeling, you might need to store in different place when you them cut down, and gone.

go around underneath your camper and fill entry points with that expanding foam, while you are under there, kill any spyders while there as well.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #8

Default Spider problem

Thanks guys, I have tried all the above and still have the problem. The biggest
obstacle to keeping spiders and other insects out is the not so positive seal
between the top and bottom sections.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #9

I saw on the post about the problem with ants that someone used Amdro bait stations. When I looked the Amdro website up they said it also worked for spiders. AMDRO - Kills Ants Stakes & Bait Stations
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #10

i leave 2 no pest strips in mine at all times,my wife can handle meeting up with any critter up to and including rattlers,but one little spider and she needs therapy for a year,they work for us.and there is no mess on the counters or floors,we sometimes travel with our cats,it doesnt bother them either.

goldman is offline   Reply With Quote