Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Tank dumping process

Hey guys, We just had our Hi Lo out for the first time last weekend locally just to get acquainted with it and a question popped up...I'm curious what your process is for dumping the tanks...i.e. do you put the top up after you dump to so you can run another 5 gals through the toilet to rinse the blackwater? Do you not rinse additionally? Just curious. Thanks!

amountaincreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #2

Depends. Usually I empty the black tank then the grey water so it helps to rinse out the hose. I will raise top and rinse out the toilet further if i feel I have the time but if there are others waiting then I wont. When I get back from a trip I'll do a thorough rinse with one of those wand things I stick down the toilet with a hose attached-which comes in through the back window.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
Site Team

I never rinse the black tank when I'm on the road. It always has disinfectant/odor killer installed, so there's never a problem. Like Rick, I run the grey water through the hose after dumping the black tank when using a dump station.

And, like Rick, I clean the black tank thoroughly with the "wand" when we get home.

- Jack
Old 07-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #4

There's an interesting comparison re black tank flushers on YT which concludes that they do little or nothing. I concur with the above comments; wait till you're home then flush from above.
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #5

I always do the following:
1) Open the black water blade valve
2) Wait until it's done
3) Open the gray water blade
4) Wait 10 seconds or so
5) Close the gray water blade
6) Close the black water blade
7) Open the gray water blade and let the rest drain out

The theory is that by leaving the black blade open for a lit bit, the gray water backs up into the black water blade's area a bit and cleans out anything that might be near the blade valve.

I have some water wand thingy that I used once to try to get the blackwater sensor to read correctly and it didn't have any effect.
HiLoToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
Site Team

I don't know if this helps, but I'm trying it out. Like most everyone else I use a disinfectant/deodorizer while "in use". However, I added an extender gate valve that tightly attaches to the hose fitting. This allows me to drain the black tank-then I close the extension slide (black slide still open), open the grey slide, this allows some grey to enter the black, open the outer slide and drain all. Sounds time consuming but it's not. Then as above, I flush both tanks when home. Black tank thru the toilet, grey thru the shower drain.
This is a side note, no I haven't tried it. A gent on RV tricks thinks several (how many??) Efferdent tablets in his black tanks cleans ALL!
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

One of many....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...sh-Pro/7964401

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote