Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #1

Default "Testing" Phase for the RV...

So my "barn find" Hi Lo has not seen many days of use I bagan to become a little concerned with what worked and what doesn't. I filled the lp tanks and started with the stove. All burners work and the pilot light for the oven works, but no oven burner. hmmm oven is dusty and shows no signs of never being used. Not a big issue, have to work on it.

Refrig - Works fine on lp, was plugged in when I bought it. Going to hook up the fan this week, ordered a very quiet one for inside to circulate the air.

Fresh water tank - filled it up from my water jug, took 4 trips, holds water, no leaks inside or out.

Water pump - works fine, builds preasure, stops and starts like it should.

Water heater - Had it on bypass when I filled the tank and checked for leaks. All was well so I took it off bypass and let it fill up. Preasure valve leaked, flipped it a couple of times and the leak slowed. A couple more times and almost stopped, but that was as far as I could get it to go. Couple whacks with a small hammer and it stopped leaking. Open faucet valves to bleed out air. All was still well, no leaks inside or outside. Turn on switch for WH, a couple of puffs and roaring sounds and then it balanced out, 5 - 10 minutes later, hot water.

Black and grey water tanks - I'm guessing they have never been used... Grey water tank drained as clear as the water that went in. Didn't pull the drain on the BWT for obvious reasons, but when you depress the pedal there aren't any odors of any sort coming from the tank. No leaks in any of the drain pipes or valves.

I'm going to drag it to a RV park near work next weekend and test the A/C unit and putter around with some other stuff and just relax...

I lubed the cable guide rod thingy and used a "dry lube"... it supposed to go on wet and then dry so it doesn't attract dirt... for the guide rails on the side.

Thats all for now.

davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #2

You're off to a great start! May the joy continue!!

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
sam

Default Getting ready for camping

If your pressure valve decides to continue leaking just replace it. We had to replace ours. It is a common part that can be found at most hardwear stores. It doesn't cost a lot of $.Here is the website for you to get a better understanding of your oven.This website is very comprehensive. www.atwood mobile.com They took over WedgewoodRanges many years ago. It also has info on furnices. I,m sure you will be able to get the oven working. The nice benefit is while you are using the oven to cook breakfast it throws off heat to take the chill out of the RV. Just be sure to keep your roof vents open. Have a great first maiden voyage. We don't need a hobby we have a HI Lo!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #4

If you replace the pressure relief valve on your hot water tank, make sure it is the right size. The one for trailers has a smaller diameter fitting than the ones made for your house. I'm thinking 1/2" versus 3/4". I can't remember for sure. You will have to go to a rv parts place versus going to a Home Depot or Lowes. I know, cause I am speaking from experience. Happy camping.................

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
sam

Default Pressure relief valve

We went to our rv dealer for our pressure reliev valve and he was out of stock. He recommended Value Home Center as they sell parts for mobile homes. We had the part in hand. So maybe a place that sells parts for Mobile homes or on the net.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #6

David,

The oven may have a safety feature that keeps the oven from coming on for a minimum of 30 seconds after the pilot is lit. I thought the same thing as you until I read the manual. Below is what the manual on mine says:

To operate the oven, turn oven control counter-clockwise to the desired temperature. The oven will preheat in approximately 10 minutes.

NOTE:

The oven is equipped with a safety ignition system that requires a minimum of 30 seconds to operate after turning the oven knob on.

Cheers
Garyk52
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk52 View Post
David,

The oven may have a safety feature that keeps the oven from coming on for a minimum of 30 seconds after the pilot is lit. I thought the same thing as you until I read the manual. Below is what the manual on mine says:

To operate the oven, turn oven control counter-clockwise to the desired temperature. The oven will preheat in approximately 10 minutes.

NOTE:

The oven is equipped with a safety ignition system that requires a minimum of 30 seconds to operate after turning the oven knob on.

Cheers
Garyk52
I read that yesterday before I went to work trying to figure out what could be wrong with such a simple piece of hardware... I know it's not the way goes, but all I can picture in my mind is the oven filling with propane for 30 seconds and then "boom"... there, it's "pre-heated".

I have to admit, I have not waited "30 seconds" with the gas on for it to light... but I'll have to try I suppose... wish me luck
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
sam

Default Lighting your oven

Spoke with dh about not getting the oven to light. "Even though you have lit the stove burners it takes a while for the propane to reach the oven. This might be because you are lighting it for the first time. When i light my oven I lay across the dinette bed with a flashlight in my left hand and the grill lighter in my right hand. Not enough space in the isle to see it good and get it lit. Works for me.