Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

Default Thank You To The Forum

My wife and I specifically want to say thank you to the forum. We've been quietly lurking in the background for a couple of months reading and learning. Two weeks ago we took that acquired knowledge and bought a 2001 1701RK from the nicest couple who were the original owners. They had gotten into poorer health and hadn't used the trailer in more than 5 years, and hadn't registered it in 4 years. It has some needs, but it is complete, all of the major systems work, and we were able to get it home. The previous owners put three new tires on it and a new battery in it, and with the help of the forum we were able to go look at it and know what all to check and make sure it was the "right" camper. The forum also saved us several "bad buy" trailers that would have cost us far more money to repair than we could have afforded to spend. You have also guided us into the right ways to spend money on this new trailer. We are working on re-caulking the windows and joints before winter, the roof doesn't appear to have any leaks and because of temperature it's going to have to wait to be re-sealed until next spring when it gets warmer. We've got the fiberglass all cleaned up, got a great deal on new awning fabric, got the shower working and toilet flushing, the AC is now functioning properly and the heat is working and we've learned how to light the water heater. We've also winterized the water system with help from the forum. You've even guided us into the best possible trailer towing mirrors for our Honda Ridgeline (and we tried several just in case you were wrong). So, this is an open thank you to all of you who have contributed to our knowledge base. We hope to be able to return the favor over the next ten or so years as we enjoy our new summer home. I know we have much more to learn. If there were this much support for our previous camper we might have enjoyed it more. You are as a collective group, awesome. Thank you.

DWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #2

I'm glad you found a HiLo that fits your needs. Thanks for the praise of the forum members' help. We are here to help each other not to condemn. We have all learned from one another. Enjoy your trailer.

RichR
Forum Moderator

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
sam

Default welcome to the forum

dwatkins,welcome to the forum. I wish the forum had been around when we purchased our HiLo. I would highly suggest that you purchase a good RV cover for your HiLo. Get one with the specific material that is for your climate. This will be some of the best money you ever spent.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #4

DWatkins
An informed consumer.
No one can ask for more!
Happy camping.
I can only hope that I have helped
steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWatkins View Post
My wife and I specifically want to say thank you to the forum. We've been quietly lurking in the background for a couple of months reading and learning. Two weeks ago we took that acquired knowledge and bought a 2001 1701RK from the nicest couple who were the original owners. They had gotten into poorer health and hadn't used the trailer in more than 5 years, and hadn't registered it in 4 years. It has some needs, but it is complete, all of the major systems work, and we were able to get it home. The previous owners put three new tires on it and a new battery in it, and with the help of the forum we were able to go look at it and know what all to check and make sure it was the "right" camper. The forum also saved us several "bad buy" trailers that would have cost us far more money to repair than we could have afforded to spend. You have also guided us into the right ways to spend money on this new trailer. We are working on re-caulking the windows and joints before winter, the roof doesn't appear to have any leaks and because of temperature it's going to have to wait to be re-sealed until next spring when it gets warmer. We've got the fiberglass all cleaned up, got a great deal on new awning fabric, got the shower working and toilet flushing, the AC is now functioning properly and the heat is working and we've learned how to light the water heater. We've also winterized the water system with help from the forum. You've even guided us into the best possible trailer towing mirrors for our Honda Ridgeline (and we tried several just in case you were wrong). So, this is an open thank you to all of you who have contributed to our knowledge base. We hope to be able to return the favor over the next ten or so years as we enjoy our new summer home. I know we have much more to learn. If there were this much support for our previous camper we might have enjoyed it more. You are as a collective group, awesome. Thank you.
Welcome and glad to hear of your positive experiences with your new HiLo! I have to echo your sentiments and thank everyone for their knowledge and willingness to share the knowledge. I've been lucky enough to actually meet one of the moderators in person (Les) who has gone above the call of duty helping in the purchase of my trailer and followup with numerous questions. This is a wonderful group here!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Default Cover for Hi-Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
dwatkins,welcome to the forum. I wish the forum had been around when we purchased our HiLo. I would highly suggest that you purchase a good RV cover for your HiLo. Get one with the specific material that is for your climate. This will be some of the best money you ever spent.
I'm so glad you mentioned the whole cover thing. We have found this wonderful place called Chicago Canvas Chicago Canvas - Tarps - Muslin - Curtain Track - Blank Art Canvas . They will custom make covers from vinyl to the size you want if vinyl is what you want, or they will custom make canvas tarps that you can then take to your local auto upholstery place and have them cut the corners out of. We just ordered a nice white oiled canvas tarp with brass rivets every two feet to fit our 1701RK for $202.00 delivered. Our local auto upholstery place will cut "V"s in the corners and stitch them up making an inverted box that will fit over the camper for another $75.00. We'll end up with a custom made really nice heavy oiled canvas cover for under $300.00, and it will all be American made. They periodically have sales if you are on their e-mail list with 15% off. Right now they are having one of those sales until the end of the month, even on custom orders. No, I'm not associated with them in any way. I've just ordered from them about 8 times and I've always been amazed by how good they are.

DWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote