Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Default Is there a manual crank up on the 1977 18' ? (16'inside)

I'm going to go look at a 1977 18 ' hi lo. I have a 6 hour drive to do so.The present owner doesn't know any thing about manually cranking it up and doesn't have any kind of handle for it.I have never seen a hi lo before but i read the manual crank up was a option on SOME of the hi lo models and years. I didn't want to get one that could not be manually cranked up if the pump system quit working. Does any one know how I can find out if this particular trailer has a manual crank up option on it. He took it in on a trade and has no owners manual . IT DOENST HAVE A BATTERY ON IT AND HE HAS JUST JUMPED IT WITH HIS TRUCK TO RAISE AND LOWER IT A FEW TIMES. IT IS IS ONE YOU CAN MANUALY RAISE COULD SOME ONE GIVE ME INSTUTIONS ON WHERE AND HOW TO DO THIS? AND IF HE HAS NO HANDLE FOR IT IS THERE SOMETHING i COULD BRING WITH ME THAT COULD BE USED AS A HANDLE. The nadaguides only go back to 1978. Not 1977. And I don't even know what the official name for a manual crank option is called' Any one know?

moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #2

Moonglow,

If you look at the reference section of this forum, you will find a brochure and owner's manual for a 1977. these may answer your questions. also, the trailers have not changed over the years.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #3

Thank you for the suggestion. I had downloaded the Owners Manual 1977 2577. I found nothing in it saying it had a manual lift. But I think it is a much longer trailer then 18'which I want to look at. So I don't know if this one might still have a manual lift.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default Major things to look for

This was taken from NDgent's post here on the forum. It is a great go-by list. You can do a search of thinking about buying and find his post to read it first hand.

Basically, start with the visual items –
1. Exterior
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
2. Interior cleanliness of the unit-
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
3. Test appliance functions –
• lights
• fans
• refrigerator
• air conditioner
• heater
• water pump
• range hood
• stovetop
• oven (if equipped)
• microwave (if equipped)
• stereo (if equipped)
4. Lift System-
• Does the unit raise and lower properly
• Check the lift system for hydraulic leaks (puddle under the trailer)
• Check the lift cables to see if they are in good shape and not frayed
• Check the seal between the upper and lower body halves for tears or damage
5. fill the tanks to the top and check for leaks
6. Battery
7. Solar Panel (if equipped)

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f52/1977-brochure-1116/
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #5

Thanks, I had been roaming this site and saw that. A lot of helpful information is on this forum. I also saw the picture someone on here posted of where the manual lift handle connection would be on the cylinder pump. I guess Ill just have to see if it has a manual option when I get out there.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #6

Some models had it standard and some it was an option. It depends on the year and model. It probably wouldn't be hard to add if you could come up with the parts.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #7

Thank you that gives me hope. I think I will find and call a hi lo repair shop and see if and how much it would cost,
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #8

If any one is wondering I contacted the ohio hi lo repair shop in butler and it would cost more then the $800 for a new pump to add on a manual lift on the old if it does not already have it. I cant believe hi lo didn't automatically put it on All the trailers. BIG BUMMER.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #9

If you were to ask HiLo owners how many times they had to raise their top manually you will get a lot of zeros. Some have done just to see if it works. I was told that it takes about 150 strokes to get it the whole way up. We are on our second HiLo and haven't tried the pump yet.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #10

We have NEVER used the manual pump in either one of our Hi-Lo's. Did meet up with a gentleman many years ago and he said you really don't want to have to raise it with manual pump as it's a real workout....lol
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #11

I would hope to not have to use it. but if your traveling the country and the mechanical one goes out I don't want to be stuck and cant raise it. or just as bad , its raised up at a campground and you cant lower it. After i see it Sunday I may break down and get it any way.Its good to hear how many have not had a problem. But there's some on here also who did have a problem and was glad they also had a manual crank.And this is a old camper.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #12

I should have added that the manual pump is good only if the hydraulic pump doesn't work. If there is anything wrong with the lines or the cylinder the manual pump will do do you no good. I think you need to be most concerned with is if the lift system has been properly maintained.

Watch video # 34 from the HiLo DVD: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 11-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #13

Do correct me if I am wrong- but if the "hydraulic pump" doesn't work then the "manual" won't do you any good. My understanding is that the manual is there if you don't have any power or the electric motor that drives it doesn't work. On mine- the manual option is just like a hydraulic jack with a very short throw- and you use a little handle just like you would on a hydraulic bottle jack. You still need the hydraulics to operate the ram to operate the cables. If you don't have the manual option then you just have to make sure you wold have a way to "jump" it. Carrying one of those emergency battery packs would do the trick.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
Site Team

Rick, I THINK you've got it. The manual handle replaces the electric motor as the power source. The actual lifting is still done by hydraulic pressure which applies tension to the cables. If the hydraulic system is bad (bad seals, broken line, no fluid, etc.), you will not be able to lift the top either electrically or manually. Your only recourse would be external jacks to supply the lifting force (or a couple of strong gorillas).

As others have said, the most common problem is a dead battery which fails to power the motor and the manual crank does indeed work like the one on a bottle jack. I found it was very easy to raise mine this way once when the battery was dead (but it was slow).

- Jack
Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
Carrying one of those emergency battery packs would do the trick.

rick
I'm not sure if a battery pack would do it, unless it is a very heavy duty one. Has anyone ever tried that?
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #16

@ jack

Jack, in honor of you I actually tried it myself- a little. But, once I started I didn't try to get it all the way up. In fact- if it ever comes to that- then the other accessory would be a couple of beers and some music on my ipod because its going to be that kind of a day and you aren't going to get much else done, anyway.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote