Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #1

Default Think this will work

As some of you know, I am working on repairing the roof, ceiling, and walls on my 96 Funchaser. I ordered the Eternabond and it will be here in a couple of days. I also found a 5 gallon bucket of KoolSeal and have a question. What is your opinion of using Koolseal on the inside ceiling instead of paneling. I can buy sheets of 1/8 lauan for around 14 dollars a piece, where paneling is $30 a sheet. I should have about 2 gallons of koolseal left after coating the roof that may end up going to waste. This would give me a nice white finish on the ceiling plus I could use ceiling glitter for a classy look if it would work, plus save me about $80.00. What do you all think about doing this. I can also coat the lauan before I put it up if I have to.

Thanks
garyk52

garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk52 View Post
As some of you know, I am working on repairing the roof, ceiling, and walls on my 96 Funchaser. I ordered the Eternabond and it will be here in a couple of days. I also found a 5 gallon bucket of KoolSeal and have a question. What is your opinion of using Koolseal on the inside ceiling instead of paneling. I can buy sheets of 1/8 lauan for around 14 dollars a piece, where paneling is $30 a sheet. I should have about 2 gallons of koolseal left after coating the roof that may end up going to waste. This would give me a nice white finish on the ceiling plus I could use ceiling glitter for a classy look if it would work, plus save me about $80.00. What do you all think about doing this. I can also coat the lauan before I put it up if I have to.

Thanks
garyk52
I think the outgassing of the product would make the trailer smell odd,if the inside of the trailer got warm it would still smell odd,not the healthyess to be around.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

you would be better off walpapering orI would buy pre papered panels, they are easier to clean and won't give off voc
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

Never thought about the outgassing, but wouldn't think it would be any worse than the glues I am using. I would think anything that cleans up with soap and water wouldn't outgas that much once dried. I am more concerned with how it will stick to the lauan. I also thought about using wallpaper, 2 problems I see with that. One, wallpaper is made for a climate controlled environment, (ie expansion and contraction) Two I don't think wallpaper is made for the twisting, turning and bouncing around campers do going down the road. I'm afraid after a couple of years the edges would start coming loose plus it would be cheaper to use vinyl covered paneling than buy lauan then cover with wallpaper.

Cheers
garyk52
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk52 View Post
Never thought about the outgassing, but wouldn't think it would be any worse than the glues I am using. I would think anything that cleans up with soap and water wouldn't outgas that much once dried. I am more concerned with how it will stick to the lauan. I also thought about using wallpaper, 2 problems I see with that. One, wallpaper is made for a climate controlled environment, (ie expansion and contraction) Two I don't think wallpaper is made for the twisting, turning and bouncing around campers do going down the road. I'm afraid after a couple of years the edges would start coming loose plus it would be cheaper to use vinyl covered paneling than buy lauan then cover with wallpaper.

Cheers
garyk52
I would just try to determine inside vs outside suitability/safety/hazmat of the coating, like Camp-TWC eluded to. maybe website or even calling the company's 800 number and asking them, about chemical aspects if used indoors.

Im like you though, wouldn't have given it a second thought had I not seen people post in this thread... In fact, I thought about using a pickup bedliner product in the shower area... I've slept in the pickup that has that liner in it, under a bed cap, but liner had been on for years, Now I dont "think" I have erroneously exposed my self to a risk? I dunno, smells fine and all that.

After that find a 2x4 maybe 3ft long, maybe paint it all up, let it dry and see if it smells and all that? after making sure I guess you arent exposing yourself to some chemical that can kill/hurt you?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

garyk52,

Why not contact a Kool-White tech and get their opinion? Not having painted my roof with the Kool-White yet, I don't know what the consistency/texture is like. A rubberized texture may not be a great idea[?].

Regarding the eterna-bond tape. I just got my third roll in today's mail and will finish up with all my taping today. I may even get some primer on and start the painting tomorrow. If all goes well, I will post some pics on my roof repair post tonight.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote