Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #1

Default Tip Out or Extend a room

The information that I need is probably here, but I did a search and came up with nothing. Today, without any warning, our tip out or extend a room just did not work. It has never given us any problems at all and we were able to just manually place it where it needed to be, but the motor was unavailable. Where is the motor for this tip out? Is there a check list that we can go through to figure this out? Thanks so much for all of your answers- there is a lot of knowledge on this board.

Pipers Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #2

Default Tip Out

Pipers Family,
On our 2805C the tip out motor winch in located behind the light fixture monuted over the center of the couch. There is a wodden pannel that the light fixture in mounted to. There are two screws that allow you to remove the panel (becareful as there are two wires that feel the light) I let the wires support the lamp as I work on my winch.
You may want to look at the breaker for the winch. Then start looking for fuses. You should be able to check the power to the motor and that will tell you if the motor is receiving power. If not you have a power problem if the motor is getting power you may have a motor problem.
I'm going from memory here but I normally lubricate the gears in the winch about every year. There are mechanical stops attached to the winch which stop the lowering and raising of the tip out. One of those could be preventing the motor to run. Such as if you have the tip out in the out position the limit switch stops the motor even if you continue to push the switch to the out position, it won't cut the motor on.
Hope this helps. Keep us posted when you find the problem.
GOde Bless
Papa

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipers Family View Post
The information that I need is probably here, but I did a search and came up with nothing. Today, without any warning, our tip out or extend a room just did not work. It has never given us any problems at all and we were able to just manually place it where it needed to be, but the motor was unavailable. Where is the motor for this tip out? Is there a check list that we can go through to figure this out? Thanks so much for all of your answers- there is a lot of knowledge on this board.
I had the same problem on our 2807C once. It turned out to be nothing more than a crimped wire fitting that had come loose. (Seems like inside the battery compartment but, long ago). I entered the motor enclosure by removing the plywood panels inside the overhead storage cabinets above the sofa vs the outer panel where the light is attached (by luck).
Using a voltage tester or maybe a visual inspection will locate a problem if it is the wiring. Also, check the toggle switch that operates the motor.....
At least good old HILO made the tipouts where they could be lifted in and out by hand!
(Hey Papa - got your satellite)?
Bubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Pipers Family,

Last month I had a post explaining how to remove the cabinets housing the tip out motor. You may find the pics and information on my post here:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/tip-out-cable-2740/

Good luck.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

Default Thanks,

Very good suggestions. We will get started on the possible fixes for this problem next weekend. Thanks so much.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #6

Default Thanks so much

Problem solved- thanks so much for the help, we had replaced the battery and yes, the wire had only been tightened with fingers and came loose. Love those easy fixes. We are ready for our next chance at camping. Hopefully it's very soon.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Problem solved- thanks so much for the help, we had replaced the battery and yes, the wire had only been tightened with fingers and came loose. Love those easy fixes. We are ready for our next chance at camping. Hopefully it's very soon.

Glad you found the problem and that is was very minor and cost-free!
Gotta love HiLo Forum where everyone has been so nice and helpful!
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Bubbie is offline   Reply With Quote