Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #1

Default Tires for Hi-lo

Any good suggestions for replacement tires for Hi-lo? Where is a good place to go in Co or vicinity?

Larry from CO

Lgullyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Larry, I've always used MAXXIS 8008 Load Range D tires on my trailer ever since the OEM Goodyear Marathon Load Range C tires both failed with less than 5000 miles due to cord separation.

However, when I get new tires, probably next year, I'll probably get Goodyear Endurance tires, at Load Range D or E, because they are less expensive and are speed rated to 87 mph vs the 65 mph limit on Maxxis trailer tires.

I plan to get my tires at Discount Tire, which is where I buy all my tires now, since they offer good prices, and are found throughout the Country.

- Jack

Old 10-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Larry, I've always used MAXXIS 8008 Load Range D tires on my trailer ever since the OEM Goodyear Marathon Load Range C tires both failed with less than 5000 miles due to cord separation.

However, when I get new tires, probably next year, I'll probably get Goodyear Endurance tires, at Load Range D or E, because they are less expensive and are speed rated to 87 mph vs the 65 mph limit on Maxxis trailer tires.

I plan to get my tires at Discount Tire, which is where I buy all my tires now, since they offer good prices, and are found throughout the Country.

- Jack
Do you have any idea what the Goodyear tires cost? Can you see them online at all?
Thanks for the info as always. You are truly and nice guy and do not mind sharing your knowledge. Should have been a teacher, or perhaps you were one.

Larry
Old 10-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes - I WAS a teacher, at the U of Arizona for 20 years. *grin* Some of my former students might disagree with your opinion, but others seemed to like me ok.

Since I don't know what size tires you need, you should look for them and their price yourself. Discount Tire and Tire Rack are two good sources for them. Discount Tire will mount and balance the tires, so I recommend them if you have one of those nearby. You can order from Tire Rack and have a local installer mount them if not.

Here's a link to Discount Tire: https://www.discounttire.com/store-locator You'll be able to see all the specs and a picture of the tires on their web pages.

I just looked at my Discount Tire store, and for the size I use: 225/75R15, load range E, the total price for two tires is $337.65. This includes tax, mounting, etc.
- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #5

What subject did you teach? Great place to live but a bit too warm for me. I worked at a private university here in Denver. Loved the life and travel. Good days for sure.

Thanks again for being so nice. Janet is lucky, and I am sure you would say you are the lucky one.

Larry from CO.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Hi Larry - I worked in the Department of Systems and Industrial Engineering and taught computer programming and microprocessor design. My Bachelor's degree, though, is in Aerospace Engineering. I have a Master's in Computer Science.

I should add that my tires are a bit "oversized", because I had my axle moved and the frame lifted to allow more room in the wheel well. The OEM tires were 205/75R15 and were rated to carry only 3500#, while my trailer's max gross weight is 3800#. The bigger ones can carry over 5600#

- Jack
Old 10-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #7

My BS is also Aerospace engineering and I have a masters in
Computer Information Systems.

Looks like we are both “ techies.”

I loved the fields so I am sure the jobs I had were really destined for me to do them. No complaints.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #8

I've found these two to have better selection, pricing, and shipping speed than even www.etrailer.com (especially pricing vs etrailer.com):

* Destination for Trailer Tires & Wheels | eCustomRim
* www.trailertires.com

ecustom rim got 4 tire/wheel assemblies from Florida to western Montana from a Thursday to following Tuesday.

I advise always purchase highest/ heaviest load range tire you can, and prefer radials over bias ply. In addition to supporting more weight, they're more puncture/ slice resistant and have higher speed ratings to run cooler with each "letter" you advance. The 10 plies on a Load range E (versus 6 plies on Load Range C) make a big difference!
6" frame lift, 4 custom shock absorbers, Equ-A-Flex equalizers, Mor-Ryde greasable shackles & pins, 45 amp upgraded inverter/ 4 stage smart battery charger, 2 external refrigerator coil cooling fans, 6 gal water heater remote ignite, all interior exterior LED lights, 15" tires, 3 custom lateral axle & frame reinforcement beams, custom LP oven & stove, custom external LP ports, custom external solar port & controller.
MTboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:18 PM   #9

We ended up putting the Discount tire brand D rated tires on our trailer after speaking with their representative. Unfortunately, we sold our trailer several months later so I can’t give additional input. The ride was smooth and we had no issues. Marathons were no longer available and I cannot recall why we did not go with the Endurance?!
Elaine and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #10
Site Team

Elaine and Bill - I'm pretty sure Endurance tires are a fairly new offering from Goodyear. I suspect they were not available when you bought your trailer's new "running shoes".

- Jack
Old 10-08-2020, 11:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTboondocker View Post
I've found these two to have better selection, pricing, and shipping speed than even www.etrailer.com (especially pricing vs etrailer.com):

* Destination for Trailer Tires & Wheels | eCustomRim
* www.trailertires.com

ecustom rim got 4 tire/wheel assemblies from Florida to western Montana from a Thursday to following Tuesday.

I advise always purchase highest/ heaviest load range tire you can, and prefer radials over bias ply. In addition to supporting more weight, they're more puncture/ slice resistant and have higher speed ratings to run cooler with each "letter" you advance. The 10 plies on a Load range E (versus 6 plies on Load Range C) make a big difference!
Very good recommendations and I thank you for them, MTBoondocker.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:44 PM   #12

on line and buy Maxxis tires...I think Discount Tires carries them as well......hey are the best and most reliable ...you will pay a little more but isn't peace of mind worth it not to mention the safety of your family?

Savage709 is offline   Reply With Quote