Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Default Trailer cover

HELP!!!

Does anyone know of a place that sells trailer covers for Hi-Lo. The only covers that I have found that fit my trailer have come in at around $900.00. (Sunbrella) I can't afford that. It seems that the longest available trailer cover that anyone stocks goes up to 28ft. I need one that goes to 31ft. 6in. I have looked everywhere on the internet that I can think of, to no avail.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to any and all.

Thanks,
Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #2

Look around for boat canvas places. Winter is their slow season and you may find one that will make a cover for you. It may still be expensive, but probably not as much as you've been quoted. Most of them use Sumbrella, but some also use generic fabrics that perform much like Sumbrella for less cost.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

Bear - what is the length of your Hi Lo? I was in the same situation as you with my 24' 2002 Towlite, but when I actually measured the portion that needed to be covered (excluding the spare tire mounted on back bumper and the gas bottles on the tongue up front) I discovered that I only needed a cover that was 20' in length. Are you going by the length provided by person whom you bought your Hi Lo from? I read somewhere that the actual length of a HiLo, for discriptive reasons and title reasons, is taken from the rear bumper to the hitch on the tongue. I found that Camping World is the most reasonable place to buy covers. As a matter of fact, I just ordered one the other day for under $200. If your actual "cabin" is 26' or less than either item # 49137 or 24423 would fit and these are designed to fit Hi-Lo or TrailManor models up to 102" W and 60" H when lowered. Hopefully this will give you another option.

Gary
MansizeIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #4

From your info ... I like those prices, but must question their quality. Anyone? Yeah or neah?
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

Default Quality of Covers

Wrascal - over the years I have had several of them and found their quality as good as any others. They're name brands at best, Tyvek and SFS Aqua-Shed. Living here in central Indiana they are exposed to rain, snow, sleet, high winds, extreme temperature swings and intense winter sun. I only say I have had several is because I have ultimately ended-up including them in the sale of previously owned pop-up campers.
MansizeIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #6

Hey guys,

Hello MansizIN, I know the covers you are talking about at Camping World. They are made by ADCO, and have now added Sunbrella to their lineup. They also told me that to get a Sunbrella cover it has to be custom made. Cost $775.00 plus tax and shipping. ADCO only makes two covers to fit Hi-Lo, one that fits a trailer from 22' to 24' and one that fits 24' to 26'. If anyone wants a good measuring diagram go to WWW. Calmark.com and go to the Hi-Lo section. The way a trailer is supposed to be measured is the box itself, not the spare tire or the bottles up front.

Wrascal, if you are ever coming over this way, let me know and I'll give you my phone # and address. You sound like the kind of good ole boy a guy can sit down with and just talk about whatever comes up.

Happy camping and be safe,

Bear
Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #7

Default Gomer Plye "well gollllly"

with a hearty Danke Schoen.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #8

Smile Trailer Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MansizeIN View Post
Bear - what is the length of your Hi Lo? I was in the same situation as you with my 24' 2002 Towlite, but when I actually measured the portion that needed to be covered (excluding the spare tire mounted on back bumper and the gas bottles on the tongue up front) I discovered that I only needed a cover that was 20' in length. Are you going by the length provided by person whom you bought your Hi Lo from? I read somewhere that the actual length of a HiLo, for discriptive reasons and title reasons, is taken from the rear bumper to the hitch on the tongue. I found that Camping World is the most reasonable place to buy covers. As a matter of fact, I just ordered one the other day for under $200. If your actual "cabin" is 26' or less than either item # 49137 or 24423 would fit and these are designed to fit Hi-Lo or TrailManor models up to 102" W and 60" H when lowered. Hopefully this will give you another option.

Gary
Gary- I have a 2705T which has a box of approximately 23.5 feet and I have a roof mounted AC . Do you know which ADCO cover would fit? Since you ordered one I thought you could give me some guidance. There is a great sale going on at Camping World at this time and there are only 2 sizes to choose from.--up to. 22.5 fits. Up to 24' and----- 22.7 to 26' fits up to 28'.....
Joe Jones
JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #9

Default JJ

It seems to me that you'd need the larger of the two covers.

My reasoning is ... your stated (measured?) box is 23.5' and the smaller cover only goes up to 22.5".

I'm looking at the smaller cover as my box is approx. 20' on my 2001 camper (2401TD) which has an overall length of 24' (measured rear bumper to tongue). My box is 20' + 3' tongue + 1' rear bumper = 24'.

If my intuition is correct then your model 2705T means that your 2005 model year campers overall length is 27'. Subtracting a comparable 4' (for overhangs) and you'd come back to a box size of about 23'.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #10

Default Rv cover

What is confusing is the ad says "up to 22.5" and then it states it can fit 24' models? So, with you thoughts, a 24 ' model would be a 20' box which leaves 2.5 feet for extra space to handle room taken up by AC unit,etc. Right???Joe
JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #11

Default JJ

You're confusing the inhabitable box length with the overall trailer length with the trailers height.

HiLo calls your camper a 27 foot long trailer (measured bumper to tongue) but it only has a box of about 23 feet. You don't need a cover to fit tongue to rear bumper, rather only the livable box.

The roof mounted AC has no effect on the covers length, that'd only effect the height. As I recall, going by memory when I looked at these covers, they all had a height of 100 inches (a bit over 8 feet). I don't remember the claimed width.

Friday I hope to be in town (nearby to our Camper World) and will hopefully put my eye-balls on these items.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #12

You may try Amazon.com: Classic Accessories 79363 PolyPro III Grey Deluxe Class C RV Cover, Fits 23' - 26' RVs: Automotive
for a cover. Pretty reasonable. I used them for my cover for my 17T.

May be a better deal.
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #13

Default used ADCO cover

I have a used ADCO cover model #42241 fits 20'1" to 22' regular travel trailer so it would need to be adapted to work with the lower height of a Hi-Lo. An upholstery shop can do the work fairly easily. It has been patched in a couple of places where there was wear (See pictures). If anyone wants it for $75 plus the cost of shipping let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-17-13 001.jpg (57.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 10-17-13 002.jpg (85.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 10-17-13 003.jpg (93.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 10-17-13 005.jpg (40.9 KB, 19 views)
ReadyToRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #14

The ADCO cover models indicated are designed to specifically fit the Hi Los. I'm on my 2nd one since 2007 for my 2707T. When CW has sales, prices can be very good. They unfortunately deteriorate pretty quickly. It seems that any somewhat sharp point on your trailer will cause a rip. I have managed to make them last through about 3 seasons with duck tape patches.

Not sure if the more expensive brands would last longer.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
The ADCO cover models indicated are designed to specifically fit the Hi Los. I'm on my 2nd one since 2007 for my 2707T. When CW has sales, prices can be very good. They unfortunately deteriorate pretty quickly. It seems that any somewhat sharp point on your trailer will cause a rip. I have managed to make them last through about 3 seasons with duck tape patches.

Not sure if the more expensive brands would last longer.
If you take a piece of styrofoam from something that was shipped to you and smash it on the sharp edges, I bet it would make your cover last longer. That's what I do.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #16

I'm thinking that 2-3 years will be plenty of time for me to decided if I'll continue camping and if so, upgrade. I've already spotted one I like, just a bit higher in price than I'm willing. I'll give it another month (sitting with for sale signs) before I approach.

Nope, it's not another HiLo; it's a 2003 26' Dutchman w/ LOTS of extras (asking $8250).

Anyone know anything about this brand?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
sam

Default sob trailer

You could still use our check list to check sob trailer. It will be harder to tow and take a bigger towvehicle. Also more gas. Check the price on the NADA website.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #18

Default sob trailer?

SOB to me means two things, neither of which make sense in this context.

Son of Bianca
Small of Back.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #19
sam

Default getting a trailer

In nursing sob means short of breath. In the context of camping sob means some other brand.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #20

Hey Wrascal,
A Dutchman in Trailer talk is kind of like Lincoln or Cadillac in car talk. If that's all their asking, I'd jump on that like stink on stuff. Can't really say what I mean here, might offend the ladies and get me in trouble with the moderator. Sounds like a good deal though.

Bear