Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default Upper entry door

Went to check on my trailer today and discovered the entry door window had slipped down about 3/8"and the bottom of the door had come off and the wood was rotten. Please tell me it is an easy fix. Thanks!

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
sam

Default Fixing entry door.

DH had to fix our door on our classic. I would never say it is easy. Jack had the same problem and posted on it. Check for back posts. You can do this!

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Site Team

Ruben, I think it's a relatively easy fix. In my case, the plastic "frame" inside the door had failed due to some weak plastic pins on it breaking. I did not have any rotted wood problem though.

I was able to install plastic strips somehow (I can't recall the exact way I did it) to reposition and secure the window. I think you'll figure out what is needed once you take the inside surface of the door off.

- Jack
Old 02-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #4

Reuben,

I repaired my door quite a few years ago, so I am relying on memory (scary thought ) for the repair. If I can do it, anybody can.

With the door off and laying interior side up, remove (unscrew) the metal frame strips. Remove the window trim pieces and remove the glass. With a metal paint scraper, gently remove the interior metal door panel. It is glued on. Now you are looking at the wooden door frame. The center section of the door consists of a piece of styrofoam that the window sits in. The bottom piece is a 2x6 piece of wood and the sides are 2x2's. The top of the frame work consists of 3 pieces of wood, mitered together to form the curve in the top of the door. I used treated lumber to replace the original wood. Use the original wood to get your measurements for the new wood. I reused the top 3 pieces as they were not rotted.

One of the 2x2's will have to be drilled to accommodate the locking mechanism. The new 2x6 is slightly thicker than the original bottom piece. It will have to be sanded or planed down for proper thickness. I used PL400 construction adhesive to reglue the interior metal panel back on. Also used new stainless screws in the reassembly of the door. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures when I did this repair. Hind sight is always 20-20. Your door might be slightly different than mine, but this should get you started. Good luck with your endeavor.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

Ruben,

How did you get rotted wood in West Texas?

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

Darn Ruben, I had a step-by-step procedure on how to take that upper door apart to reseal it but seemed to have lost it. I'll keep looking but I must have found it somewhere on this site. Someone here has done it before!

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote