Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #1

Default Wall Repair & using other materials

Hello! I have previously posted about the window leak that I had after I just bought it and the previous owner lied. I have a 31ft classic. It looks like I may have to tear the wall down so it will all match and then replace it. The leak is minimal. It is just right under the window and a little down the base line of the wall. I am afraid that if I use a different type of wall, then it will mess the hydraulics up and it may not rise or lift. I was going to replace the foam insulation and then apply something like vinyl tile since I can't replace the same wall paper. My husband does not have time to do it with his schedule, so it looks like it will be me. We are contemplating on selling it with obviously making it known it needs work because I could never do that to someone and having time to fix it is an issue. Do you think that this will mess with the lift? How much work is involved with this? Any input is appreciated Thank you!

Anaps21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Anaps21, What you have there is typical of neglected maintenance. That window needs resealing and probably the rest also need it. It's not a hard job, but is time consuming. As for the wall, It should be repaired. It's only thin plywood available from big box store. Lauan is the name of it. Cheap, looks just like the inside doors in some houses. This can be covered with paint or wallpaper of your choice. Not to worry about the weight affecting the hydraulic system.
It would be a loss to give up a otherwise good unit just because of a window reseal job.
Videos are on youtube, showing how easy it is. Check out the videos before making a decision.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #3

Thank you for your response!! Yes, I think I can just do the repair. We are also repairing our house and are busy with that, so I think that’s where the frustration lies along with working and family. When I look closer, I don’t think I will have to rip out the whole wall and just the base wall. The upper part of the wall is firm, and doesn’t appear damaged on the inside. We looked under the very rear window, and they shoved paint sticks under the window to replace the wood, but it appears that there is rotten wood. So I will fix that too. We have already begun resealing the windows also. Thank you for all of your help! You are always so kind to answer!
Anaps21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
Site Team

Anaps21, Very welcome, of course. Resealing the windows correctly will ensure a much longer life for you Hi Lo. Once all the maintenance is completed, you can camp with confidence. The upkeep of a Hi Lo differs little from other RVs, with the exception of the cables/hydraulic system. If you haven't already, I might suggest you see the videos in the reference section. There are about 32 very short videos about each system on the Hi Lo.
I'm also redoing a house in the mountains of NC. After 100 years, it needs a lot. Best of luck with both projects.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #5

Default Wall repairs

Tree climber has given you some sound advice. I have repaired wall damage in my HiLo. Take the window our and you will see the extent of the wall damage. We ripped everything out and then used Bondo on the interior wall/fiberglass. Then we used 1/8th wood sheet. Next we used a sheet of insulation. Measure the thinkness of what came out. We also used heavy duty liquid nails to glue the foam and 1/8th wall paneling(top layer). Our wall paneling came from ACE Hardware. It had the wallpaper on it. Some have used locktite caulk to glue the layers. I would hate to see you give up this HiLo just because it needs some repair. PM me and I will talk you through this repair when you are ready. I can advise you on what tools work best. Try J&R in Ohio to see if they have the matching paneling. Keep posting with your questions.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #6

I had to replace the interior wall paneling on my Tow-Lite 2200 and found some 1/8" plywood paneling at my local building supply big box (Menards). The decorative pattern on the sheets is very close to the original wall paper pattern. Just an idea & I don't know it that is an option for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paneling Menards.jpg (138.2 KB, 38 views)

On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote