Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #21

That is actually pretty efficient. I have been known to run that all night. The best way to use it is to close up the trailer except for a decent size opening in one of the front windows. It will exchange all the air in the trailer with what you have coming through that window.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #22
Site Team

The Fantastic Fan is VERY efficient. As I recall, it pulls less than an Amp. The stock Mattel Toy fan that was OEM pulled about 2.5 Amps as I recall. I replaced my stock fan with a Fantastic fan that has the automatic thermostat and rain sensor that closes the vent if it rains. We leave it on all the time when we're camping.

Joy, if you have two batteries and they're in a good state of charge when you start out, you should be OK. I'm glad you have LED lights inside too. They are a very smart conversion for us boondock campers.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #23
sam

Default Keeping warm

If you have an oven or are doing cooking on the stove in the Am the side benefit is it will produce some heat. Be sure to be well ventilated with a vent or window open.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #24

I think I am set for hot or cold now. No stove but Mr. Buddy sounds like it will do the job. I am a state campground for my first dry camping experience so if something goes wrong there should be people around.
JoyNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #25

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyNoelle View Post
I live in Pullman, WA but store my trailer for Winter in Boise, ID. I recently found there is a great service guy who knows Hilos in Boise but trying to avoid the 7 hr trip until winter. I will see if I can access the water heater element. I think I have to get at it from under the couch. If I have to run on propane this season I will.

I would really like to find a HiLo owner somewhere close to me just to have them help me walk through everything I have questions on. I want to learn how to do things myself but am not mechanically inclined. I get worried I am missing something important.

One more question. Should I be running the refrigerator fan at all times or just to get the fridge cooled down?
Run the fan all the time; but replace it with a quieter one if the noise bugs you. Running it all the time will give you a more efficient 'fridge.
Mel Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #26

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joynoelle View Post
ok i read through the responses one more time and realized i had another question. How do you tell if the seals are meeting properly?
look at them!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #27

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Joy, you can find an inexpensive multimeter at Harbor Freight which will provide JUST about the same results as a more expensive unit. Instructions are included for checking batteries. As far as your water heater you should do an internet search for your water heater for parts. If the water heater is an Atwood, the company has two different heating elements. One element screws in and the other bolts onto the heater tank. I have made repairs to an Atwood on two occasions and the screw in heating element is not hard to service, and since your water heater is inside a storage bench it should be easy to access. All power should be disconnected before working on the water heater.
For checking the battery:
In addition to a multi-meter, a specific gravity tester is de-rigeur.
First you check the water level by removing the tops of the cells.
It should be just at the bottom of the 'well' just touching the plastic well bottom. If not, then using a syringe, add DISTILLED water to the cells until they are full as above. Charge for 24 hours; then..........
..........check the S.G. by squeezing out air from the bulb and sucking battery fluid into it until the float bulb 'floats. It should read between 1250-1300 for a fully charged battery. [In the green or green/yellow zone.]
If readings are not to spec, take it to a battery outlet to have it checked for condition.