Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #1

Question water heater questions

I just bought (but haven't taken possession of) a 2004 M31-C Hi Lo. Can someone tell me the capacity and make of the water heater I have? I would also like to know the dimensions of the unit. I am planning to replace it with the Suburban tank-less 5286A hot water on demand water heater so I need this information ASAP before the sales price exspires (11/2/18)....Thanks TC

Savage709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Savage709, I have looked into an on demand also, but quickly dismissed it. Cost of the unit and especially the electrical requirements. 20 amp system or 30 amp are about the least I could find. Sounds okay, normally 30 amp is available, but in addition to hot water, I also want A/C and my air fryer! Plus my refer is on line. Way beyond power input.
The H2O system in a Hi Lo is about 6 gal. Mine runs on gas, cheap.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Site Team

Savage - I agree with Tree. My water heater is 6 gals also, but I have no idea of its dimensions. It uses very little propane to keep the water hot and I never use electrical power to heat the water, even in a campground with hookups. Because of the very short run to the sinks, the water gets hot almost immediately when needed.

- Jack
Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage709 View Post
I just bought (but haven't taken possession of) a 2004 M31-C Hi Lo. Can someone tell me the capacity and make of the water heater I have? I would also like to know the dimensions of the unit. I am planning to replace it with the Suburban tank-less 5286A hot water on demand water heater so I need this information ASAP before the sales price exspires (11/2/18)....Thanks TC
Your future purchase probably has an Atwood 6 gal heater which is 12.5 inches tall, 16 inches wide and 18 inches deep, but with the foam insulation you would probably need a width of 14 inches tall by 18 inches wide. If the heater is located at the back side of the trailer like mine (2005 27T), then the installation depth would be about 20 inches. To be sure, why not ask the seller for the current water heater model?
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
sam

Default Water heater comments.

Agree with all the previous poster that a tankless water heater is not the way to go. I read several forums and read about all the problems. For type of camping we do I always use the campground showers. We heat up water for washing dishes or washing up. A 30 lb tank of propane lasts easily one camping season. Usually have to run the furnice some. Save your $ and just use what you have.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #6

thanks Sam...but I disagree with you...I previously had a Girard GSHW2 in my last trailer (a Trailmanor) and had zero problems. It performed wonderfully and I loved having the long hot showers in the privacy of my own trailer. I will be selling my old one when it gets here so if you know anyone that wants it, speak up now....otherwise it goes on Craiges List and besides I have already bought a new Suburban tankless heater (60000 BTU's) that is even better than the Girard (42000 BTU's)...nothing worse than having to settle when you can have what you want!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:14 PM   #7
sam

Default Hope the tankless water heater works out well for you.

My cousin had one in a house they bought. They didn't have enough hot water and ended up taking it out. Let us know how it works out for you,.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #8

well Sam, the one in a house is different from the Suburban Nautalus that I have purchased and you bet I will let everyone know how good it works....that 6 gallon water heater is one of the shortcomings that most RV's and especially trailers suffer under....like I said, I want what I want and I don't want to compromise or settle on 2nd best either.....and that goes double on the hot showers!
Old 11-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Savage709, I have looked into an on demand also, but quickly dismissed it. Cost of the unit and especially the electrical requirements. 20 amp system or 30 amp are about the least I could find. Sounds okay, normally 30 amp is available, but in addition to hot water, I also want A/C and my air fryer! Plus my refer is on line. Way beyond power input.
The H2O system in a Hi Lo is about 6 gal. Mine runs on gas, cheap.
Tree
I have seen a kit that uses a mixing valve like the anti-scalding valves in homes. You set the hot water heater to 140 or 150 degrees and the valve mixes cold water to produce normal 125 to 130 degree hot water. It results in 10 gallons of hot water from a 6 gallon heater. It also has the added benefit of more effectively killing bacteria.
SteveLampen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #10

Savage, you'll have plenty of time to play with the hot water after you take your Hi-Lo home.....

What's bothering me is your rush to meet the deadline of an expiring "sales price"

Really ? Well since we are moving deeper into the winter months I hope your sales price is going down accordingly.
U4ick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #11

Oops.....maybe you're talking about the price of the hot water heater expiring, in which case you can simply return it if you decide to not install it.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #12

Default Water Heater

Ours is an Atwood; book is unavailable! We mainly use electric (switch in back storage space behind the water heater) and the gas is an easy switch located on the monitor. Water gets hot fast!
Elaine and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #13

Thumbs up sales price

U4ick I don't know about that but I do know that I got a very good price on that Suburban Nautilus. Suburban is the industry leader in RV water heaters and my past experience with the Girard GHWS-2 tells me a lot about how good these work. The Suburban out strips the Girard by quit a lot in performance and I am sure the quality is on par between the two units. I was going to get a Girard like before as i knew the Suburban was quite a bit more, however the Suburban sales price was what the Girard would have been so I had to jump....I'll think of all of you when I am soaking under an endless hot shower!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #14

Great !!!! Enjoy your endless hot showers !!!!

Please post pictures of your water heater conversion.... you're not the only one that likes long hot showers !!!!