Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

Default Water Heater uh oh

I just picked up my 2010 1810h. So far love the trailer but I think I may have messed up and need to know how to fix it. I plugged the trailer into the power at my parent's house. I did not have 30 amp but instead standard house power. I tried to run the water heater while I had the air conditioner running. This was all on electric as I did not have the propane tracks filed yet. The water heater would not turn on. Could I have blown the breaker/fuse in the water heater because of low amp. If so do you know if the water heater is a breaker or a fuse. Total newbie here. I know how to tell if a breaker is blown but how do you tell on a fuse. I would like to have this sorted out for my first camping trip next weekend where I will have 30 amp

JoyNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #2

Did you turn on the water heater without it being filed? If you did the element would be fried almost immediately. There should be breaker on the power panel for the WH. There is no indicator light to show that the heater is on, at least on my WH, you just have to wait a while to see if there is warm water. The indicator light next to the WH electric switch is for the gas mode when it fails to light the burner. You would most likely pop a house breaker if the AC and WH were on at the same time.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #3

On electric power it should be a breaker. But there should also be a power switch for electric on the panel where your monitoring station is or on the heater itself that should be turned off when water isn't hooked up so water heater element doesn't burn out. There should be an electric breaker panel somewhere where you can check the breaker but it may be as simple as a flip of a switch. I wouldn't suggest running both AC and water heater off a standard power cord or it will trip the breaker in the house breaker panel probably.
misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

I might add, if the water system had been drained the WH breaker may have been turned off to prevent accidental turn on and an element burnout. That is something we all need to keep in mind when we drain the water system for winterization. Knowing how my mind works I always flip the breaker off when winterizing. Also, unknowing visitors into the trailer may want to flip switches to see what happens.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #5

Thanks all...I did make sure that I had water in the hot water heater by turning on the sink hot water side and letting the air out. At the dealership the indicator light seemed to come on when he turned on the electrical side. I will look for the breaker. I will also get propane and try it that way. Everything else was running well. So much to learn.

One additional question, what type of fuses should I carry with me for the hilo
Old 09-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #6

When you are looking for the breaker, which is inside the cover under the left front seat, I think, take note of the colored plastic fuses, mark down the capacities of them like 5,10, and 15 amp, etc. Also, measure the size of the fuses as there are several different physical sizes or take one with you to compare. I think they are all the same size in the trailer.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #7

Thanks Rich...how do you tell if a fuse has blown. I really appreciate the help.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #8

Fuses are hard to check without a tester/meter. Sometimes they look bad by looking in the little window and seeing a burnt element but sometimes they look good and are really bad because they can burn out at a spot away from the window. Go to Walmart and get an automotive fuse tester. Sometimes they come in a kit with a removal tool and a selection of fuses. Any auto parts store should also have them. If you have a multimeter you can test them also, pull the fuse and test across the prongs.
http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-NO-43...+tester+puller
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #9

Joy, when we received our Hi-Lo Classic from the factory in 2009, I was surprised to learn that the water heater operated without a thermostat. Therefore, while using our Hi-Lo, we only turn on the water heater (via panel switch) when we are getting ready to wash dishes or take a shower. Unless the weather outside is very cold, the water in the heater stays pretty warm for a good while after heating to max temperature and then turning it off. We also remember to check the off switch when we leave the camp site for awhile.

Dee
Summerville, SC
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Tillotson View Post
Joy, when we received our Hi-Lo Classic from the factory in 2009, I was surprised to learn that the water heater operated without a thermostat. Therefore, while using our Hi-Lo, we only turn on the water heater (via panel switch) when we are getting ready to wash dishes or take a shower. Unless the weather outside is very cold, the water in the heater stays pretty warm for a good while after heating to max temperature and then turning it off. We also remember to check the off switch when we leave the camp site for awhile.

Dee
Summerville, SC
I believe there is a thermostat but it isn't adjustable. Without one the heating element would never shut off and the water would be boiling. I think it is a button type thermostat that is only on or off. I will have to look at the wiring diagram sometime to see for sure.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
Site Team

I certainly have a thermostat on my 2007 model HiLo. It controls either the gas heater or the electric one. And, as Rich said, it seems to be an ON/OFF kind of device (which is actually the "standard" kind of hot water thermostat I believe, except on a home heater you can adjust the on/off point).

Dee, I'm certain you have a similar thermostat in your HiLo. Anything else would cause the safety relief valve to constantly open.

- Jack
Old 09-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #12
sam

Default Buying fuses

The cheapest place to get a pack of automotive fuses would be Walmart. I like the start kit idea with the fuse puller. We turn on our water heater to do dishes or to wash up. Then we turn it off to conserve propane. No sense it letting it cycle on and off all day.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #13

Thanks all a trip to walmart is in order. I will go look at the breakers on Thursday. It is stored at a friends house for now.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #14

I just worked on an Atwood 6 gallon and it actually has 2 non adjustable thermostat switches. One is set at either 130 or 140 degrees depending on the model and it has a second that is set at 170 degrees as a failsafe if the first one should not cut off the element at 140. They are small and attach to the outside tank wall.

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote