Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #1

Default Water leak

Well after three days of good hard rain, I went out today and found water damage at the bottom of the curb side rear window. It doesn't look extensive but I want to catch it before it gets really bad. What I need is a step by step on how to remove the windows and reseal them. I have read about the butyl tape and Lexel, but I can't find anything that tells me how to get the window out. I don't want to just rip and tear and screw up something else. I'm afraid that since this is an 1989 trailer I'm going to find more than I want to anyway. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks in advance.

Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
sam

Default How to remove window and reseal

You will need two people. This is a diy job if you want it to be. Gather tools correct screw driver for removing trim ring on the inside. Stiff putty knife (2). Paper towels,garbage can,sawhorses,googone,glass cleaner. One person on the inside removes screws in the trim ring. Second person on step stool or ladder supports window on outside. First person cuts away caulk on outside or scrapes it. Then gently pry window to release butyl tape with scraper. Two people support window and carefully place on saw hoarse. First person can was trailer siding with googone then maybe alcohol. It will dry while both are scraping off butyl tape from around window. All the goo doesn't have to be completely off the round part of window.Get off as much as you can. Apply butyl tape to round part of window. Two people lift window back in place. One on the outside supporting window while the other person puts trim ring back in place and screws in. Note: with the window out you will be able to get a clear look at your inside wall. Do not put window back in until you have repaired any wall damage. All your windows need to be taken out and resealed. Excess butyl tape will squeeze out this is normal. We waited a day before removing excess butyl tape with a butter knife. Then Lexel caulk is applied.to exterior part of window to seal to side wall. The first one you do is scary then the next window gets easier and almost is fun. Remember each window you take out give you a look at your interior wall..hopefully no water damage. You can also look up you tube removing a window and resealing. Head phones and your favorite music help sooth your nerves as you do this job.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote