Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #1

Default water tanks

hi im very new to this so i hope this q wont sound too dumb but ive seen where we should sanatize the tanks and flush them out. what is the best way to do this?
thanks,
Dan Rose,east tennessee

radrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

Default Water Tanks

We have been camping about 45+ years but new HiLo owners, When we purchase a different unit we place about one third of cup of purex into the water tank and fill the tank take a short drive and then drain it all out. Then fill with fresh water and then drain that out. The tank should be clean.

Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #3

Assuming you have a 30 gallon tank like the rest of us, about 1/3 cup of plain bleach, no fragrance, is all you need. Put that into a larger container of water to dilute it some then pour that into the tank. Fill the tank and leave it stand for at least three hours. If you can smell the bleach when you run water from the faucet you have enough in it. Be sure to run the water through all of the system to clean that too. Too much bleach is not good for some of the plumbing. Empty and drain the tank at least once to get the bleach out.

Look here on the forum library under plumbing for instructions for sanitizing the water tank.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Assuming you have a 30 gallon tank like the rest of us, about 1/3 cup of plain bleach, no fragrance, is all you need. Put that into a larger container of water to dilute it some then pour that into the tank. Fill the tank and leave it stand for at least three hours. If you can smell the bleach when you run water from the faucet you have enough in it. Be sure to run the water through all of the system to clean that too. Too much bleach is not good for some of the plumbing. Empty and drain the tank at least once to get the bleach out.

Look here on the forum library under plumbing for instructions for sanitizing the water tank.
DITTO, I do this
Les 97 21ft. towlite
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

Default location of fresh water drain valve

i have a 1983 HiLo, the fresh water tank seems to be at the front of the trailer, i have looked on all four sides and can seem to find the drain valve, i would appreciate it if someone would let me know where i might find the drain for it
marshaellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshaellen View Post
i have a 1983 HiLo, the fresh water tank seems to be at the front of the trailer, i have looked on all four sides and can seem to find the drain valve, i would appreciate it if someone would let me know where i might find the drain for it
Welcome to the forum. Usually the drain for the fresh water tank is on the forward door side of the trailer. It's a turn valve connected to plastic tubing.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
Welcome to the forum. Usually the drain for the fresh water tank is on the forward door side of the trailer. It's a turn valve connected to plastic tubing.
Yeah, door side under the front... just a little drain picot...

Mine doesn't have a way to fill the tank from the outside... just a valve under the sink to turn on and fill from the city connect... not sure how to flush/sanitize the tank without an outside fill...
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

The drain valve is not in the same place on all years, on my 95 it is inside under the couch as is the water tank.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshaellen View Post
marshaellen,

I think all the water tanks are all pretty much the same; here are the instructions from the manual:

To winterize the hot water tank, open drain valve and pressure relief
valve at front of tank. This is located back of cover at front of trailer
under pilot light. Open drain plug on the outside portion of the
water heater and allow it to drain before re-inserting the plug.

The 1/2" drain plug is neoprene and rather difficult to get to but with a little patience you can get it with a wrench and/or large pliers.

You can find a manual on the forum to get additional information.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #10

thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it,

marshaellen is offline   Reply With Quote