Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
sam

Default What did you do to your HiLo Today?

I hung all six metal blinds over my clothes line. Kind of heavy with the header clothes pined to the line. Fun doing this by my self. The weather was cooperative at 72degrees with no wind and sunshine. Ended up spraying about three coats on each side. Came out 95% good. Certainly better than blinds with the coating missing. Used 8 cans of spray paint at about $34.00 total cost. The next spray paint project will be to remove the exterior plastic trim that cover some wires. Just old age,nothing that a little TLC can't cure. A chance of rain every day and humid.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #2

Sam, at a small risk of showing off, the only thing we did was clean the toilet area and sit and drink coffee before halibut fishing. We're still in Alaska, Homer to be exact. And I'm glad your blinds are turning out good. Only you will know where the blemishes are.

2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #3

I worked on making a removable backup camera and monitor system for the Tundra and Hi-lo.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #4

We took our Hi-Lo camping!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #5

Brand new to the HiLo crowd, we just purchase a '72 yesterday. the guy we bought it from dumped loads of money into to it, but just wasn't able to camp any longer Sad for him, but good for us. We cleaned ours today and spent some time trying to get the fridge working. May need to go back to the folks that worked on it for the last owner for some help with it.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #6

We took the UFO out over the weekend to get her some exercise, let her stretch her legs and all that.

Went camping locally just to get away from the hose for a bit.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Brand new to the HiLo crowd, we just purchase a '72 yesterday. the guy we bought it from dumped loads of money into to it, but just wasn't able to camp any longer Sad for him, but good for us. We cleaned ours today and spent some time trying to get the fridge working. May need to go back to the folks that worked on it for the last owner for some help with it.
Tell us about the fridge, maybe we can help!
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #8

We just arrived home after our 2.5 month sojourn.
8,200 miles with NO TV or hi-lo problems.
Have been cleaning out and going over the hi-lo from the extended trip.

I purchased after many months of searching a Dometic portable ice maker.
I can do without an oven, but while on my 3 month trip in 2012 I decided that a ice maker would make life much more tolerable while traveling.
Requires 120v power, or a much larger charger than I take camping.
Being able to have ice is such a valuable asset that I have now made plans to make a slide-out to house the unit while in use. It will reside in the TV during transit and is not hard plumbed or wired.
I consider this addition a massive plus to any long term camping.

I don't drink site water from unreliable sources. I do filter. I use water from friends homes and purchase water from purification stations where ever I shop, ie: walmart every major grocery store. I use this water to make ice.

I have enough ice for a family of 4 with-in 1-2 hour after arrival at my camping spot.

I love to camp, but lets not be toooooo primitive!

We are now home and enjoying that also.

CAMP ON!!!!!!!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
sam

Default Spray painting again

Put my first batch of gloss painted exterior plastic strips on. Can you say awesome looking. DH removed all the rest and I had fun using q-tips and a rag to get 23yrs. of crud out of the backside channels. Only had to spray paint the front. Ace hardware had a box of 100 #8x1/1-4 stainless steel screws. HD sucks in the SS screw offerings(even though my daughter works there). We have now replaced every screw in the trailer with ss screws.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #10

The mods have begun.
I finally figured out how to remove the valances and am debating new colors and covers for them. The P.O. cut the curtains on them for some unknown reason and I am trying to figure out what will look good and darken the inside at the same time and not get hung up when we set it down for traveling

DirecTv came out last night to hook up a satellite receiver. Found a dead splitter behind the fridge, a connector that is too small for the new upgraded connector. So now I need to get another splitter to replace the old one and make a new box to go behind the cable/phone hookup. Might have to run a new cable from the splitter to the connector on the fridge also.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #11

Default This and that

Got new regulator put on and all lines checked out for leaks.
Mixed 1/4 cup bleach with 1 gallon of water and put in potable tank then filled up and ran until I smelled bleach water. Will leave for 3 hours and drain and then fill the fresh water tank up again with 1/4 cup of vinegar in a gallon of water and then fill the tank all the way up. Moved coffee bean grinder to trailer (come on I thought we were going camping!). Will sweep and mop one last time and lower trailer to prepare for trip to Pagosa Springs (hot dog!). We will get to see our daughter, son-in-law, and 3 grandchildren in each of these productions. Also, we will view the best small town July 4th parade ever (Democrats and Republicans even have floats!) although they have to be seperated and enjoy a super carnival that has come to town. Depending on the moisture level there will be a great fireworks display over Pagosa the night of July 4.
Attached Images
File Type: png jcss.png (16.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Les mis.jpg (16.6 KB, 13 views)
2006 King Ranch Ford F150
5.4 V-8
byrdmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdmeister View Post
Mixed 1/4 cup bleach with 1 gallon of water and put in potable tank then filled up and ran until I smelled bleach water. Will leave for 3 hours and drain and then fill the fresh water tank up again with 1/4 cup of vinegar in a gallon of water and then fill the tank all the way up. Moved coffee bean grinder to trailer (come on I thought we were going camping!).
Hi Byrdmeister,

I'm still in the process of checking out the trailer, doing maintenance, and initial outfitting. Sanitizing the FW tank is on the list, and I surely will remember to put the coffee grinder in the camper!

I took my EAZ Lift hitch head down to a shop yesterday to have the adjustable ball mount moved up a couple notches (I don't have the proper tools) and will have the hitch ball replaced at the same time. After I have that done he said to bring the trailer down to him and he'll help me set it up properly for towing. Turns out this mechanic actually knew the fellow that invented the EAZ Lift hitch, or so he says.

We're targeting our first campout for mid-August so lots to do before then!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #13

Default Make it dirty!

Hey Greg,
Sounds like you got a plan of action. Maybe the guy did know the inventor! He surely will know something about the hitch. I kept going on at my wife about the coffee grinder. At first she said, "well you can have your coffee without the heavy cream; then finally said I could drink it out of a dirty cup if they would make me feel more like I was camping." I am thinking we might have just a tad of an attitude working!
5.4 V-8
Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #14

Wayne, (Byrd) I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully disagree on your best little town 4th of July parade and fireworks. I'm arguing back with the little town of Chetek, Wisconsin. Although now that I have run my mouth, I wish we could be with y'all so I'd know who's right. (Chetek still has a first-class little family owned bakery......does that swing things in my direction?)
Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #15

Default Jim, Jim, Jim!

http://www.visitpagosasprings.com/ev...-roundup-rodeo
http://www.pagosabakingcompany.com
http://riffraffbrewing.com/beer/

For your perusal.
Bakery, local award winning brewery, new Tractor Supply, wonderful hot springs to soak your tired, weary body in, a great 4H group, and plenty of fishing holes!
With that said, I wish they would come off their land/home prices. We would love to have a late May to early September place and then get the heck out when it gets too cold for these flatlanders!
5.4 V-8
Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #16
Site Team

Plus, it's close to Wolf Creek Pass!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #17

I did take the time to "peruse" said sites and found that the two towns are quite similar. (The bakery might be a little high falutin' what with them using words like organic and Rachel Ray) My mom and dad still live on the main street of town and I can assure you a lake-front house on one of the chain of lakes is about crazy in price.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #18

Default The appeal of such places

You know places like we are talking about have appeal that tugs at our heart strings. Deep down, I think we would like it to be like these places all across our great land. Everyone (and I mean everyone) deserved/deserves a chance to experience the allure and appeal of small town America as it existed many years ago. The parade, the rodeo, the small town café, the fishing hole or just individuals that take the time to give of themselves as they genuinely interact with you is a wonderful setting and feeling. As the
4th of July approaches and we look to our past, I hope everyone catches a moment that takes us back to those things that are "really" important in life. So whether it be Chetak, Wisconsin/Pagosa Springs, Colorado/or Stonewall, Oklahoma enjoy the best of America!

So what does this have to do with the initial thread?
Today, I drained the grey tank. Will reload the fresh water tank now that it has been sanitized and begin the countdown to "drive off" north.!
5.4 V-8
Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #19

We love Pagosa. Stayed there a couple years ago. The couple we were with talked us into stopping there and I'm sure glad they did otherwise we more than likely would have drove on past. I wasn't sure about getting in the hot springs but they were amazing. Not sure I have ever felt more refreshed in my life. The next morning we found a great little coffee shop. I could see myself spending more time there. As for working on the Hi-Lo. I added some spring loaded door supports on my overhead cabinet doors to hold them open when getting stuff in or out. Nice little improvement.
thewalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #20

Default Pagosa campground

The Last Resort Pagosa Springs, CO  81147

This is the place that will be staying at for about 3 weeks give or take. The owners are friends of my daughter AND my oldest grandson is doing maintenance work around the campground. I told him I wanted a manicured site. This morning I have been greasing items on the trailer, checking air in tires, and tightening all the screws on our trailer paying special attention to the glides that the top works on. Something I NEVER have done in my entire life is "grease" the hitch ball but after reading posts about it I will give it a try. Putting. my extension mirrors on the truck, checking all its fluid levels, and air pressure on tires. I have also printed out the check off list found on this site to prepare to let the trailer down. This is the first time I have "officially" battended down the hatches! Getting excited! So much so that we may leave a day early.

5.4 V-8