Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #21

Wayne, y'all better get on the road so you can get there in time to "mark your spot" on Main where the parade goes by. In case any candy is thrown your way you want to make sure those little rascal grandchildren don't get in front of you. As usual the only thing I get is sprayed by the fire truck when they come by.....

2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #22

Default Watch out KIDS!

If they start flinging those Jolly Ranchers out there all bets are off and it's ever man for himself!!!!! "Momma, Momma that old man pushed me down!"

2006 King Ranch Ford F150
5.4 V-8
byrdmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #23

When I read this to Brenda she and I both laughed out loud. Everyone be safe, and enjoy our 4th of July. From two Marines to every American: This is the very best country in the world......celebrate that event!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #24

This is what I am doing to my high low for the next couple weeks. Fortunately I have the fiberglass end caps. The front one has some damage so I get to repair it. Other than time, that should be rather easy.

My trailer is a 1981 so all the ribbon caulking for sealing around the windows and seams are beginning to leak. I am pulling both end caps, every window and vent and replacing the caulking and installing larger screws as many of the screws seem to be stripped.I'm going to try new 8 x 1 inch long self tappers with hope that it was just rusted screw threads. If these will not draw up tight I will use some new 10x1 self tappers instead.
I also need to rebuild the toilet valve as it will not add water when flushing with the pump on.
I am so tempted to pull the roof metal and seperate the roof from the top half wall and replace some minor damaged roof paneling but some bleach in a spray bottle will hide most of the damage in the corners. Its minor and my wife says I am OCD... lol

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140701_195918.jpg (94.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20140701_195941.jpg (91.3 KB, 49 views)
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #25

I replaced my bad flush valve with this
SeaLand SE314349 Water Valve Kit by Sealand
from amazon.
It was a perfect match for my toilet which is in my 1985 hi-lo. Pain to install due the restricted space, but works perfectly.

Good luck with your other repairs. Stay COOL

steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #26
sam

Default Repairs

You will be able to see the condition of your walls with the windows out. I would encourage you to invest in stainless steel screws. Best of luck with your repairs and have fun.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #27

Didn't do it today but on Wednesday I lowered the UFO in advance of Arthur.

Started modding new curtains also. Hopefully pictures will be coming soon. That didn't work out.. the new curtain looked horrible. :/
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #28

Fiberglass day. someone please remind me why I do not like working on fiberglass. Oh yeah. It itches. Ha

I think the damage to my front end cap was from the previous owners bumper and turning too sharp while going up a hill. The glass caused the glass to spider at the cracks which caused the glass to not come back to its original position so I ground all the crack areas out with a dremel tool and then put gorilla tape on the front side to help hold position and retain the resin and did the repair on the back. It is dry now and I will let it sit for most of the day just to be sure, I tend to rush things.
I will post results later in the day or tomorrow.

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140704_104143.jpg (50.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20140704_111453.jpg (83.0 KB, 32 views)
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #29

On my 2705T with the top down, I do not have any access to the batteries in case of a power failure. My option is the manual backup raising system which, to my understanding requires the effort of about 140 pumps. To forego the risk of over exerting my older body, I sprung for a set of commercial type jumper cables and installed the receiver end on the frame of the trailer, which if needed, the jumper cables would be plugged into the receiver and then spring clamped to another battery source (truck).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jumper Cable.jpg (84.5 KB, 36 views)
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
On my 2705T with the top down, I do not have any access to the batteries in case of a power failure. My option is the manual backup raising system which, to my understanding requires the effort of about 140 pumps. To forego the risk of over exerting my older body, I sprung for a set of commercial type jumper cables and installed the receiver end on the frame of the trailer, which if needed, the jumper cables would be plugged into the receiver and then spring clamped to another battery source (truck).
Nice mod, Garry! *thumbsup*

Just a comment on the use of the manual lift though: I don't think it requires much effort at all. I've done it, and I'm 73, so I'm not a youngster. In my trailer, I would not have to raise the top all the way up to get access to the batteries. I'd just need to raise it a bit over a foot, so that I can open the hatch.

I really recommend everyone try using the manual lift at least once, while home and not under duress. That way you'll know what to expect should the need arise when you're in the boonies.

- Jack
Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

Just a comment on the use of the manual lift though: I don't think it requires much effort at all. I've done it, and I'm 73, so I'm not a youngster. In my trailer, I would not have to raise the top all the way up to get access to the batteries. I'd just need to raise it a bit over a foot, so that I can open the hatch.

I really recommend everyone try using the manual lift at least once, while home and not under duress. That way you'll know what to expect should the need arise when you're in the boonies.

- Jack
Thanks Jack, and you are correct, anyone with a manual lift should trying using it, which I have not done, but I will put that at the top of a "To Do" list. I did raise the trailer up about a foot and could access the batteries, but I would not feel comfortable attaching jumper cables at that position as someone (my better half) would have to be nearby to make sure the cables did not come in contact with with the hatch cover. If that happened, all heck would break loose.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #32
sam

Default Rattle can paint to exterior guides and blinds

SDC10716.jpg
I bought DH a riding mower for his 65th birthday. When it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity you want to get the work done fast.

SDC10717.jpg Horizontal trim pieces with fresh paint.

SDC10718.jpg

SDC10719.jpg

SDC10720.jpg
Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #33
sam

Default The old blinds made new.

SDC10721.jpg

SDC10722.jpg

SDC10723.jpg

SDC10724.jpg

SDC10725.jpg
Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #34

Quote:

- Jack
On my 2805C it is a real workout to raise the top manually as my top half weighs at least twice the weight of your 17' HiLo. You are right that you should manually raise the top once or twice a year to keep the pump
o-rings lubed. When I bought my HiLo the manual pump o-ring had stuck and it took a tremendous amt of force to break the pump loose. I also mounted a aircraft jumper cable plug-in system to the side of the box. Works great.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #35

Quote:

- Jack
Thanks a lot, Jack - another item to add to my "To Do" list!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #36

Greg, it is time for you to get that trailer hooked up and spend a couple nights in it! You've got the talking and prep work down-pat..........go camping! If something goes wrong your first time out you'll have a story to tell.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Greg, it is time for you to get that trailer hooked up and spend a couple nights in it! You've got the talking and prep work down-pat..........go camping! If something goes wrong your first time out you'll have a story to tell.
I'm getting there, Jim! Does camping in the driveway count?
Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #38

All laughs aside, I think it might be for the best if you have an older model that hasn't been used in a while. Fill it with water, turn on all your goodies, and spend a day and night seeing if most things work correctly. I used the word MOST because EVERYTHING just won't work correctly.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #39

take NOTANLINES advice and camping in the driveway is totally acceptable.
Just don't try to tell stories of bears and noisy animals.

We receive many posts from people that are having problems on the road, or camp spot because they didn't practice raising and lowering, not enough preventative maintenance, and don't know how their trlr parts function and maintenance.

You can learn about how much power your battery has over time of use, water tanks leaking, pumps working, awning up and down issues, leaks to trlr body, etc etc.

All of these are much easier to deal with at your home as opposed to on the road.

Make sure to use the night time to try out your skills also for dark set-up and tear down. It is different and challenging.

Once you know your trlr is functional and works as it is supposed to, it takes alot of the worry out and gives you peace of mind that you can deal with anything it throws at you.

practice makes perfect.

my $.02

steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoites View Post
take NOTANLINES advice and camping in the driveway is totally acceptable.
Just don't try to tell stories of bears and noisy animals.

We receive many posts from people that are having problems on the road, or camp spot because they didn't practice raising and lowering, not enough preventative maintenance, and don't know how their trlr parts function and maintenance.

You can learn about how much power your battery has over time of use, water tanks leaking, pumps working, awning up and down issues, leaks to trlr body, etc etc.

All of these are much easier to deal with at your home as opposed to on the road.

Make sure to use the night time to try out your skills also for dark set-up and tear down. It is different and challenging.

Once you know your trlr is functional and works as it is supposed to, it takes alot of the worry out and gives you peace of mind that you can deal with anything it throws at you.

practice makes perfect.

my $.02

steve
Hi Steve,

I think I'll try the driveway thing for a night. Actually, I could have a bear story to tell because where I live in the mountains we have a couple of bears that make regular visits to our neighbors about a quarter mile down the road. We also get elk, deer, bobcat, quail and cottontail rabbits on a regular basis in our area and on the property so it will be a lot like real camping. We have three campgrounds in our little community so I may give one of those a try before hitting the road.

Today is "propane" day. I turned on the bottles and did a soap test on all accessible mechanical joints and tested all the propane appliances. Glad to say I didn't blow myself up . . . at least not yet!