Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #21
Site Team

Here's another thought - Is it possible the hitch latch has been damaged in some manner so that it does not retract properly? If you look down into the receiver from above as you try to insert the ball from below, what is stopping the ball from entering? If it's the latch, and not the receiver rim itself, I'd say the latch is not fully retracted.

Just thinking out loud here, don't know if what I'm suggesting is possible.

- Jack

Old 10-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #22

I am going to get to the bottom of this TODAY. A nice man from Martzen Chevrolet is stopping by today to see if the
2-5/16" ball will fit. The 2" goes in fine but rolls around. If it doesnt I am back to the 2".

tlnovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #23

If ya got correct ball and hitch... There's adjustment maybe ths can help there are several more on UTube too
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #24

Thank you.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #25

Check to see if the device that grips under the ball is dropped down when putting the ball into the hitch. I'm talking about the thing that was showing in the video. It may be bent or adjusted wrong not allowing the ball to insert into the socket.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #26

Ok. My hitch guy is coming today at 4 p.m. to see if the 2-5/16" hitch ball will fit into my 2001 Hi-Lo platform. I asked him about a WDH and he didnt seem to know anything about it which causes some concern. He is from a local car dealership. I asked him if there was one on my trailer and he said he didnt know. You are now telling me it is not even on the trailer but the tow vehicle. How could someone putting on a hitch possibly not know about a WDH??
Old 10-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #27
Site Team

He doesn't sound like he knows too much about towing.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #28

Once again, I have a 2001 towlight and it takes a 2 5/16 ball. If your guy doesn’t know what a weight distribution hitch is then he is limited in this area. Go to e trailer and educate yourself. You need one.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #29

Yeah I get it. Once again I have a 2001 and the 2-5/16 does not fit. And I have visited etrailer many times.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:42 PM   #30

Tinovack,
So what did your "hitch guy" have to say?
McKesh Mirrors
Andersen Hitch
anchorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #31

My hitch guy didnt show up... twice. Lol. I went from super mad to whatever. To be honest and in his defense thats really not part of his job description. Making house calls. But he (the dealership) lost my business anyway. I would never tell someone I was stopping by to check a hitch ball size and then just not show up or call. So I am going in a different direction. Not sure which direction. I really dislike having to rely on people or seek info. from people who dont give a ****. (Not you guys). So I have to decide how bad I want to do this. There is no Equal-i-zer dealer around here. And it seems like a process to hook the thing up. I will think some more.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #32

Are there any RV dealers in the area that could help you? If they don't know I don't where else you can go. Go to www.youtube.com and type in 'how to determine hitch ball size'.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #33

Well, Tinovac, a lot of folks on this forum have tried to help and it doesn't seem we have gotten very far.

Reading back through this thread, I note that several people have mentioned the hitch latch, which, if not open, would cause exactly the complaints you have about ball size. But you have never mentioned that you have tried to open the latch, or given any indication that you know what we are talking about. I'm assuming now that you just don't have any past experience with towing or towing equipment.

In contrast, most of us just assume you know a little about hitches. Some of us probably learned at about 6 years old in 2 minutes watching our dads hook up a trailer, who answered any questions we had. So we just assume everybody knows some basics.

There has to be a latch to keep the trailer hitch from bouncing off the ball when driving around. There are a number of different latch designs and configurations I can think of right off the top of my head, at least 5 types I have owned personally. They don't all look even very similar. On my Hi-Lo, the latch control is a small rectangular metal box on top of the hitch just behind the ball socket. Yours could be different.

The control handle or lever or whatever they used is connected to a plate under the hitch that, once fastened, prevents the ball from slipping out of the socket. Also, if the latch is closed when you try to insert the ball, there's no way you can get it in. That would explain why you can't get a 2 5/16" ball into the socket, and why the smaller 2" would rattle around in it. (Your tow guy who brought the trailer to your place wasn't hooked up safely if a 2" ball was loose in the hitch, which could have come off when going over a bump. Unless he had some other tie-down for the purpose.)

If I am correct about the source of your problem, I note that several folks on here have suggested you get someone competent about towing to show you some things in person. We can't offer a good substitute for that. Don't just order things off the Internet or buy at a Walmart if you don't know what you are doing. If an item costs a little more at an RV dealer, his expertise is well worth paying a bit for. You can be frugal later when you get some experience.

I hope this is helpful. If I'm all off-base here, sorry.
McKesh Mirrors
Andersen Hitch
Old 10-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #34

Yes you are correct I knew nothing about a hitch at all but I am learning now. I understand the concept of the hitch ball and the hinge. Trust me. LOL. The hitch/trailer company told me my trailer had been altered. He could tell by the weld. So its all good. I am having the issue resolved. This forum has helped. I have learned so much and I will pass it on. The welder will cut off the end and put on a nice, new one (2-5/16 "). I am very excited to get this done. I am getting my new hitch put on my van next week and I cant wait.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #35

Been a long run..Glad ya got it resolved and done...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #36

Glad to hear it's working out. Sounds like a good resolution. Hope you enjoy the next part of your adventure!
McKesh Mirrors
Andersen Hitch
Old 10-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #37

One thing to note about the weight distributing hitch is that if you have a larger diesel tow vehicle, the WDH is likley not required. Also, since the tow vehicle is heavier than the trailer, it's not hard to accidentally put some of the truck's weight on the trailer, which results in increased trailer tire wear and failures.

HiLoToGo is offline   Reply With Quote