Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 04-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #1

Default When raised, do you lower it onto the safety bar?

I may be doing this all wrong. I've been raising the top all the way up and then lowering it onto the safety bar in order to take pressure off of the hydraulic system. I'm not getting a proper side wall seal, as the top is too low. Should I change my ways?

taylorpct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes, change them. Do not lower the top onto the safety bar - it is not meant to be a long-time support. It is just a safety feature. The part about lowering the top onto the bar is simply a check to see that the bar has become engaged. Once you've done that raise the top to the full up position again and leave it that way when camping.

- Jack

Old 04-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #3

Very helpful tip. Makes sense. Thanks.
Exbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #4

Thank you Jack? I've ready the manual over and over again and it isn't clear. Experience rules and thank you for reaching out to us on this!
taylorpct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:41 PM   #5
Site Team

It's possible they revised the manual. I don't know what year yours is, but in the manual for my 2007 trailer, it says to lower the top onto the bar to check that it is engaged, but then to raise it again. I have to admit I just skip that step now. I listen for the metallic clank that tells me the bar has engaged just before the top reaches it's full up position and that's good enough for me. I suspect the test HiLo advises is a CYA since the bar would not deploy if the top did not go all the way up.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:37 PM   #6

I did it wrong for ten years.
RICHARD1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD1943 View Post
I did it wrong for ten years.
You're not alone!

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #8

Those youtube hi-lo instructional "how to" by sting32 made years ago are very good.
tlnovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:21 AM   #9

As Jack said, just as you reach the top with the hydraulic system, you should hear a soft clank as the spring-loaded bar swings into place under the top. I usually pull the safety release cord and feel it move, then release it again and listen for the bar to lock back again. If the bar is moving freely, you can be sure it is in the proper place to catch the top if the hydraulic system should fail.

Think about the times you drive past a construction site in the evening. You will frequently see their cranes with a heavy generator or other piece of valuable equipment suspended up in the air overnight to prevent someone from stealing it. Hydraulic systems are designed to support this weight and you are not hurting anything with the top in the full up position.

Tmjbp is offline   Reply With Quote