Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #1

Exclamation Where is the vin # issues trying to get a Tag

Normally I know on the tongue somewhere but so far not found mine.. I went to get a tag today and was told since its never been registered in GA only Alabama that I have to have a Police officer come out and "inspect it" said they will make sure the vin is what it is on my old tag receipt and if so he will write it on the paper she gave me then i just bring it back and they give me a tag otherwise he will mark no vin and they will give me a vin? I didn't know you could just make up a vin.. I really don't understand cause its got a tag on it its not like they haven't had a tag on it in past few years i always run into this kinda stuff though just my luck.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #2

Default HI

On my HiLo the vin is stamped into the top of the tongue curb side to the rear. The entire vin is not stamped there only about the last 6 numbers. If it is on your tongue over the years previous owners may have painted the tongue and filled in the vin. Clean the tongue with some paint thinner an if it is there you should be able to see it. The entire vin on mine is also on a tag on the bottom of the top half drivers side at the front corner. Others have said their vin was on a tag on one of the cabinet doors in the kitchen area. Anyone who has a partial vin on the tongue should get a set of metal stamps (letters and numbers) and stamp the rest of the vin into the tongue. Can save a lot of problems later like you are having. You can hardly read the vin on the top half tag on mine. I already had a set of stamps so it was no problem to stamp the remainder of the vin on mine. Look closely on the entire tongue top and sides for the vin. If you can't find the vin borrow a set of stamps, strip the paint off of the tongue, stamp the vin in and repaint. When trying to register a vehicle with no vin many states require you to post a bond for up to around 10 years.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
On my HiLo the vin is stamped into the top of the tongue curb side to the rear. The entire vin is not stamped there only about the last 6 numbers. If it is on your tongue over the years previous owners may have painted the tongue and filled in the vin. Clean the tongue with some paint thinner an if it is there you should be able to see it. The entire vin on mine is also on a tag on the bottom of the top half drivers side at the front corner. Others have said their vin was on a tag on one of the cabinet doors in the kitchen area. Anyone who has a partial vin on the tongue should get a set of metal stamps (letters and numbers) and stamp the rest of the vin into the tongue. Can save a lot of problems later like you are having. You can hardly read the vin on the top half tag on mine. I already had a set of stamps so it was no problem to stamp the remainder of the vin on mine. Look closely on the entire tongue top and sides for the vin. If you can't find the vin borrow a set of stamps, strip the paint off of the tongue, stamp the vin in and repaint. When trying to register a vehicle with no vin many states require you to post a bond for up to around 10 years.
I looked and looked and the only thing i see that looks like numbers are right on the tongue next to the jack. its on the driver side 64410300 under that it says franklin div 2" but the number on the tag receipt starts with a 28 and only a 7 digit number

I for a sec thought i had found a spot where a tag plate was fastened to the top of the A coming out but then realized that's where at one time the propane tank holder was fastened mine was just held on with bunchee cords so took it off trying to find a vin #