Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #1

Default Where is the jack?

This may seem like a stupid question, but we bought a used 2006 Hilo 17T and can't locate the jack incase of a flat tire. I am thinking maybe its tucked away somewhere. Can't find any information in the manual. I read you have to jack up by the frame and not the axle, so there must be a special jack to use. Any help would be appreciated. If we need to buy a jack what would you recommend. Thank you

Miaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi again, Miaz - no stupid questions here!

The HiLo does NOT come with a jack. You have to supply your own. And, those of us with single axle trailers HAVE to use a jack to change a tire, or do brake or bearing service, which sucks. Just as an aside, tandem axle trailers can be pulled or pushed up on to a plastic or wood ramp like thing which you put the good tire on and this lets the bad tire hang down free, which allows you to service it.

I got a small bottle jack from Harbor Freight that will fit under the frame very close to the axle. Additionally, I have a short length of 2x4 that goes between the lifting top of the jack and the frame so that the force is distributed better on the frame. This also gives me a bit more lifting capability, since as I recall, the jack only extends 9? inches. So, I have to place the jack on something to raise it up high enough to lift the trailer and I would use leveling blocks for this (I have about 14 of these, since we often camp where the sites are not level).

I know this sounds shaky at best, but I would leave the trailer hitched to the truck if I had to change a tire so it would not move. I would disconnect the weight distributing bars on the hitch though, so the trailer would more easily lift on one side.

I store the jack inside the spare tire wheel, attaching it with a U-bolt to the vertical tire holder. There's room in there for a small, 4-ton jack. The handle just lives in the back bumper.

Since I've gotten my tire pressure and temperature monitor system, I've not worried much about a flat tire. But, of course, they can always happen.

- Jack
- Jack

Old 07-15-2020, 11:37 PM   #3

Thanks again, Jack. Sounds like that's what we will do also.
Miaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #4

If you have the space, Harbor Freight sells aluminum 1.5 ton capacity floor jacks for $79 - I keep one in the tool box in the bed of my pickup. They're compact, have an easy to remove handle, only weigh about 30 lbs, and are a whole lot safer and more stable than a bottle jack.

(https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ack-64545.html)
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #5
Site Team

I use a floor jack at home, but, as I said, I would not uncouple the trailer from the truck if I had to change a tire on the road. Since it's held firmly in place by the truck, I don't think there's much danger in using a bottle jack. (I also NEVER get under the trailer when it is supported by a jack! I put it on jack stands if I have to do that.)

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:12 AM   #6

I wouldn't uncouple the trailer, either - I just find the light floor jack is far easier to use if I have to raise the trailer. The long handle and wheels make it easier to maneuver, the lifting pad is much larger which spreads the load at the frame rail over a larger area, the lifting range is greater, and I don't have to reach under the trailer to raise or lower a bottle jack.

A secondary benefit is that the 3,000 capacity is more than adequate to raise one corner of the pickup if I have to change a tire on it, and same ease of use benefits apply there as well.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #7

I had a flat ONCE while on the interstate. A lady in the lane next to me kept pointing back to my trailer and then I saw the smoke from burning tire on the rear axle. I had luck getting the tire repaired and made it home. I never wanted that experience again so I bought sensors for the trailer and my tow vehicle. Good investment.
Yerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerg View Post
I had a flat ONCE while on the interstate. A lady in the lane next to me kept pointing back to my trailer and then I saw the smoke from burning tire on the rear axle. I had luck getting the tire repaired and made it home. I never wanted that experience again so I bought sensors for the trailer and my tow vehicle. Good investment.
I had almost the same experience, except I had cord separation in the OEM tires that came on my trailer. Fortunately, I was warned by a following motorist before the tire blew. AND, now I have a tire pressure and temperature sensor on all tires (trailer and tow vehicle) when I'm towing.

- Jack
Old 07-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #9

I just recently installed a tmps monitor system and the booster attached to trailer aframe has a small green light that is constantly on. Will it drain my battery while trailer is stored between our monthly weekend trips?

John
jon2bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:13 PM   #10
Site Team

John, it CAN drain your battery if left on and the battery is not receiving a charge. I have one of those signal boosters in my trailer too, but it's connected to the trailer's battery though a switched circuit. If I were you, I'd install a simple on/off switch in the positive feed to the booster. If you've attached the signal booster to the trailer A-frame, you can put the switch in the battery compartment. I have one installed inline in the battery compartment to a small water pump that I use to fill the fresh water tank from a 6-gallon jug. I got the switch at an automotive store I think.

There's certainly no reason for the booster to be on when you are in storage or even when you are camping and parked. The battery drain is fairly small, but it IS transmitting in addition to lighting the light.

- Jack
Old 07-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #11

If you have Pick n Pull salvage yards around you, they have a selection of vehicle jacks at low prices that you can pick through to find one that is lightweight and works well.
HiLoToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #12

Jack,
Thanks for your reply to my?. I’ll address this matter.
John

jon2bee is offline   Reply With Quote