Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #21
Site Team

I THINK Larry meant the "street side". My HiLo has an obvious label there with the VIN. The other side is the "curb side". My guess is, you don't have the labels mentioned in the last two posts.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #22

Man, what a hassle. I think I’d be looking for ANY number I could find stamped anywhere (axle, doors...) and that would be the VIN. Hard to believe the DMV is going to research anything if it’s a 50’s-60’s model. They just want their tax money.

Texguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #23

Definitely no labels. Im grinding all paint off the tongue tomorrow and then will repaint looking for an etched number. Motor vehicle treats classic cars special but not trailers. Chances are my trailer could be one of the first Snyder made and there is no number. This is just ridiculous.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #24

Mine is on the inside door\hatch\cover where my shore power cord is.lower left drivers side towards the front .Its screwed to the inside of the cover.1998 fun chaser.
Peter Gimblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #25

You would have a problem even if you moved to another state or sold it to someone in another state. Hindsight !
RICHARD1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #26

Not necessarily. Pennsylvania is much easier then Jersey. And
they don't tell you to tow it to a scale when its not registered and the cops say don't do it or it will be impounded. I know there are states where it is much easier to register as homemade. There are 100's of guys building homemade campers all over Youtube out West. Its
like everything else. I'll bet if one had a friend at dmv to they'd be cruising.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:25 PM   #27

strip The paint on tongue. Do a state police inspection. Get a bill of sale 54 was the first year vin were used. It was manufacture discretion until 81!

The clerks at the local dmv you went to had a bad day. Buy some stainless safety chain keep the receipt on top and get some osb to park your four wheeler on put those receipts on top with other receipts from fueling, everything, piled up and drive that thing down there Like you stole it..
The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:05 AM   #28

Have never lived in NJ, so I have no experience with your DMV, but I have more years of dealing with those folks in California than I like to admit to - maybe a bit of CA DMV experience will be of help.....

On the "how do I tow it with no plate" issue, CA has what they call a "one trip moving permit" for non registered vehicles that need to be moved on public roads - here, you take whatever paperwork you have in to a DMV office, tell them why and where you need to move the vehicle (like to a scale for a weight cert.) and they issue a permit that lets you take it from where it's stored to the destination and back. I'd think NJ probably has something similar.

Are there any states nearby where the DMV is looser on their policies? It's far from the best alternative, but if you're not too far from Delaware, Maryland or PA, they're easier to deal with and you have friends or family there, perhaps you could sell the trailer for $1, they could license the trailer and then "sell" it back to you for $1. Once it's licensed and registered, it shouldn't be a big deal to get NJ registration.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #29

Wayno I bought a 1983 16S about a month ago. Had same problem with Vin. Trailer was from Pa and Ohio has to match Vin on camper to Vin on title from Pa, before issuing new ohio title to me. It took awhile to find was under 2 costs of paint, Left side frame looking at front of camper,approx 17” back from ball about 1” from stabilzer ball. scraped off some paint and founr a sticker, wife peeled apart sticker and there was Vin # on sticker. Wrapped up with plastic and duc tape for a ride to auto dealer that confirmed Numbers matched. got title next day. Good Luck. Bruce
FoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #30

Default VIN location

I just located mine on a 1999 Towlite on a label located on the curbside front corner of the body. It is a stick-on label that is so faded it is hardly legible. I intend to get the numbers stamped into the tongue for permanence.
It seems there was no standard for location or type of marking over the years and models from what I am reading here.

fredetl is offline   Reply With Quote