Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #21

Beach papa, I am about to embark on the same repairs to my 1994 and I thank you for the instructions. I don't have a place inside to work so I just bought a very heavy shelter floor to use as a tarp, it will add 110 pounds to the lifting weight but it will keep everything dry. I will not be bashful about asking for help.
I can see the number one rule will be getting the two halves separated enough.
I am still gathering materials but I have the windows and the door/frame out.
My leak however has come from the top seam so the upper board has rotted too. No roof damage that I have found and I hope I don't have to get into the roof. I think I will start a thread so I too can help others learn
I am changing all the bulb seal, removing all the windows and moldings to put new sealer in the seams and replacing all the screws with stainless screws, also removing all the exterior lights and resealing them. If anyone wants to ad to the to do list please feel free.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #22

Default Water damage

Metoo. Water damage. Can't look at damage until last daughter visits on Sep 1.

My HiLo has just been installed in a family "private campgrounds" in Mayville NY. By installed, I mean that I just had a deck installed and the site raised by 2 feet of gravel to overcome the "drop" from side to side.
Once all that had been done I was not too anxious to move my camper. This is intended to be a "summer" residence near the shore of Lake Chautauqua. An Amish workman will be doing the work either over the winter OR in a few days
(although viewing the damage will help in the decision process) during September.
I may need to rent a space for the work to be done if it's a winter long endeavor.
I do GREATLY APPRECIATE the posts by you all and especially Beach Papa.
John

John Brysacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #23
sam

Default water dammage

John,Welcome to the forum. Is yours a Classic or a towlite? It makes a difference in how you do your repairs. I have a rough idea of where your campsite is located. I live in Niagara Falls,NY. We have a club of HiLo owners in NY state . If you are interested send me a PM and I will get you the information.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #24

Default Water damage

Sam,
Thanks for the reply. I am at Chautauqua Family Campgrounds in Mayville.
I have read and printed all of Beach Papas story about his rebuild;However I am hoping that your post of 07-12-2012 may be more on the mark for my "possible problem/repair". I am having some problem finding that post--no doubt because of my unfamiliarity with the forum's practices
Some of the details of that post of yours seem to point to my outside "dimple" above the kitchen sink window as a commonality.
I am currently on a search for a camper sized place which I can rent while my Amish repairman works on this problem this autumn. This last summer's rains have left me cautious about proceeding just now. I live in FL
Thanks,
John
Old 08-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #25

Default water damage

Sam,
I have a Classic
What is a PM?
I know what PMS is and I try to avoid its sufferers.
John
Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #26
sam

Default PM is personal message

John,check your personal messages. I sent you two. Don't feel bad I am not real proficient with computers.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #27

Thankyou,thankyou,thankyou for your' pics and description.
oqqdenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #28
Site Team

John, Sam didn't quite answer your question, but a "PM" is a Private Message. You should have a link in the upper right corner of this window that tells you if you have any. Click on the link if you do, which should show you your "Inbox" and then click on any "New Messages", to read and possibly reply to them.

Looks like Sam sent you two, looking at the post.

- Jack
Old 12-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #29

Default Home-made jacks

This may help anyone who doesn't have access to a crane or big forklift. I built 5 pipe jacks. I clamped one to each of the 2x2 support knees that jut out on either side of the frame. The jacks are 5 feet of 1/2" black iron pipe with a short piece of flat bar welded to the bottom end to form a foot. Cut a generous length (mine are 36") of 1/2" threaded rod and weld each one to another piece of flat bar to sit on top. Run a couple of big washers and a nut on the threaded bar, drop into the open end of the pipe, grease it up and you have a very strong & easy-to-use jack. My jacks let me carefully raise and lower the roof section without disconnecting the guide rails. Once I got sufficient clearance, I inserted 2x4 beams crosswise to help support the roof section.

Full-timing last winter, the snow made my roof sag and contributed to other problems. I plan to make some shorter versions of these jacks to use for roof support while camping for long periods.
Shagnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:03 AM   #30

Default jacks

Sahgnman any chance you could post some photos of your jacks. I'm having problems with understanding 5 ft of pipe?
thanks and God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #31

I have not bought a camper yet and have been undecided on a TM, or Ho-Lo.
Both you and Sam have added to my knowledge of what to look for and is greatly appreciated.
Bobammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobammax View Post
Both you and Sam have added to my knowledge of what to look for and is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.
I think the hi-lo regardless of model is a great idea, and a shame they are not in business right now.
Like everyone has said, look at the lift system and make sure the top half mates evenly with the bottom all the way around. I have found the beams get wet from water damage and sag. Any water damage on any camper is bad but it really takes a toll on a Hi-lo. If you have a little mechanical ability and are able to do carpentry work repairs take time, but are not hard so you can pick up some great deals on one that needs work.

Wrinkles in the walls around the roof or the roof itself , or under window stains are signs of water leakage.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobammax View Post
I was just faced with the same decision. I looked at several TrailManors and Hi Los. They both have desirable features. If your tow vehicle is lite, probably a TM would be better. I have a 3/4 ton 4 whd Suburban, so weight was not a problem. I think the Hi Lo is built heavier with cavernous interior space. This plus a real black water holding tank sold me. I just don't like recirculating toilets. (personal preference). I bought a 27' for the separate bedroom. Bought a new Parklane mattress for good sleeping comfort, and we are good to go.

Good luck in your decision. I don't think there are really any right or wrong answers. Just be careful to select a good one. Let us know what you decide.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #34

Default Jacks-photos

Here are some photos and a simple schematic. Please let me know if this doesn't make it clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0015.JPG (80.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0016.JPG (92.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0017.JPG (90.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Jack.jpg (73.2 KB, 29 views)
Shagnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #35

Hi my name is Robert and I have older hi lo would like to separate mine to rebuild is there any advice please would help
robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #36
sam

Default Seperating the halves.

What year is your HiLo?
Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #37

1984 hi lo I bought it 4 years ago used it on my work site for employees but they destroyed it so I brought it home was going to redo but I just cant find a site to show how to separate
2 half's
Old 07-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #38
sam

Default seperating the halves.

Do a search for this back post. Cable replacement in my 1998 HiLo 24TD 3-3-2010. This should help you.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #39

ye I ave tried its frustrating people say there is threads and links I have yet to find it
Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #40

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
ye I ave tried its frustrating people say there is threads and links I have yet to find it
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f61/...1998-24td-125/

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote