Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Boondocking Discussions on dry camping

Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #1

Default NO Fresh water fill.

My 2009 1509T has NO fresh water fill other than the city water hose bib connection. Is there an EZ way to add water when I am dry camping?

KF6GZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #2

There should be a small door on the front wall on the lower section that you open with your accessory key. Inside you will find the fresh water fill opening. There is 15.5 gallon tank under the floor. The hose connection will not fill the tank.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #3

Default fresh water fill

I am not sure about your trailer but mine a 1999 29b Hi-Lo . The fresh water tank can be filled 2 ways there is a door with a fresh water fill, also in the front road side compartment on the lower section there is a series of valves. You can turn one of the valves and it will divert the hose water to the tank. You must watch for the tank to fill up and turn the valve off when full. Or you will over fill and cause a leak out the vent on top of the tank. The other valve is used to syphon antifreeze in to the fresh water system to winterrise your trailer.
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #4

Default HI-LO 150xT Potable Water

For whatever reason, the 15' HI-LO has a different setup for potable waterm than other HI-LO's. Rather than a large 20-some gallon tank underneath, they have a tank under the street-side table seat -- next to the pump and water heater. You fill it by removing the seat cover, and turning a valve on the inlet pipe. Then just attach a hose to the water inlet, and turn the water on. Water will fill the tank rather than the plumbing. There is also an overflow that will dump water on the ground if over-full. Once full, detach the hose and turn the valve back the other way.

I think HI-LO chose to do the smaller tank to keep tongue-weight down. You could easily modify it and gain some very precious space back to the interior storage where the tank is, by adding the underneath tank and replumbing it -- there is plenty of room for it.

I actually like the way it works better than having an outside potable water connector -- it is simpler and easier to use. Just connect a hose and turn a valve.

Hope that helps,
Jeff N.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

Default Tank

I have a 79 and I dont think I have a fresh water tank. I've looked all over after reading this forum. I just hook the hose up and thats it.
camper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF6GZH View Post
My 2009 1509T has NO fresh water fill other than the city water hose bib connection. Is there an EZ way to add water when I am dry camping?
I know you posted your question long ago. Did you ever get an answer? I just recently bought a 2009 1509T and I have the same exact question: I understand how to fill the fresh water tank by connecting to a water hose bib. Is there also a way to fill it when dry camping? As best I can tell, all 15 foot Hi-Lo's lack the gravity fill opening found on larger models. Am I correct?
Joelrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #7

Default fresh water fill boondocking

I use two 6 gal portable tanks, and an electric transfer pump from Harbor Freight. It takes less than 2 minutes to transfer the water into the clear water holding tank, with no labor involved. The pump is around $25 from any Harbor Freight store. No need to remove the portable water containers from your truck, if you need more water, just fill at any potable water source, and use the pump. I find I use more water doing dishes than any other reason while boondocking. Even a shower, if done prudently does not use that much water. I have the optional outside sink on my Hi Lo, and I use the two tub method (one wash, one rinse) for dishes and water the plants with the grey water. If you use bio-degrade-able soap it is no big deal.

Enjoy dry camping, it is a lot of fun!
kingsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #8

Default Water fill

The 15 ft. trailer does not have a Gravity Water Fill.
What should be the fill is used as the Vent and it is too large and too low.
So when travelling a large portion of the water splashes out through the floor.
tomsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #9

Great advice. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsign View Post
I use two 6 gal portable tanks, and an electric transfer pump from Harbor Freight. It takes less than 2 minutes to transfer the water into the clear water holding tank, with no labor involved. The pump is around $25 from any Harbor Freight store. No need to remove the portable water containers from your truck, if you need more water, just fill at any potable water source, and use the pump. I find I use more water doing dishes than any other reason while boondocking. Even a shower, if done prudently does not use that much water. I have the optional outside sink on my Hi Lo, and I use the two tub method (one wash, one rinse) for dishes and water the plants with the grey water. If you use bio-degrade-able soap it is no big deal.

Enjoy dry camping, it is a lot of fun!
Great advice. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #11

my tank in my 2179 is under the table seat on the door side.

2179 HiLo

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
iamgailmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:29 PM   #12

Hi, I have a 1508t and I do replenish my water supply when dry camping using a small water pump and a 6 gallon water jug. Last night, we were finishing up a 3 day trip and the water tank ran dry .. we were all set to go to bed. in our pjs and the bed made up. In order to add water, I would have had to take apart the bed, turn the valve, change my clothes and go out into the cold and probably get wet doing the water transfer..my last trailer had a simple port on the exterior of the trailer that allowed me to add water to the tank. I did not have to turn any valve or take any furniture apart to use it..just pour the water into the port. Anybody have any ideas on the possiblity of adding such a port?

thanks,
dennis

DennisB is offline   Reply With Quote