Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

Default 2012 tow vehicle

I have a 2012 Toyota 4Runner rated at 5000 lbs. tow capacity. I'll be pulling a 19 ft. 2000 Hi-Lo Towlite w/ an A/C unit. Anyone with a similar vehicle that can tell me whether the vehicle is under powered, adaquate or pulls without a problem, even in hilly conditions? Do you suggest a WDH/stabilizer with this tandem axle trailer? Thanks for all the help so far with my other questions!

Photocamper

photocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #2

Your trailer with AC is about 3300 lb empty plus the weight of any other options like an awning, dual batteries, etc. The rule of thumb is to keep the trailer weight below 80% of the towing capacity of the tow vehicle which makes it 4000 lb. You have to allow for the people and cargo in the TV which deducts off the maximum towing capacity, and for having a bit of extra power for pulling the hills. I would say you are going to be right up close to your 4000 lb once you are loaded and ready to roll.

And, yes to the WDH. It makes everything level and safer. Be sure to get a good brake controller, such as, the Tekonsha Prodigy P2.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

It looks like a good match. With a WDH and brake controller. The one thing I see that would help is a transmission cooler. With my tacoma w/ tow package, I got a trans cooler. Not sure w/4runners. You may have to add an aftermarket one.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #4

I tow a 17' Hi-Lo rated at 2850 lbs dry with a 2012 4Runner. I use a WDH, although it hardly is necessary with an under 300 lb tongueweight. Tows fine if I keep the revs up as these things don't develop power down low. I use the manual gear selector to avoid "gear hunting" and have not put in a cooler for the transmission. If Toyota says it can do it, then I'm going to tow w/o. Then again, I have a lifetime powertrain warranty.
ToyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
gus

It never hurts to install trans cooler, We replaced few transmissions on 4runners at my shop, Toyota must have really made their transmissions fail proof lately, I suppose you don't have to change fluids either.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

I have a t-100 and just added a trans cooler.
Your H2O temp gauge will not show any increase, but I did see where the trans fluid had discolored after my trip w/o cooler.

Now is bright red and holding well.

steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote