Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

Default Electric Trailer Jack

Evidently I Retracted it too far! Now, though it runs with the switch in both directions, it won't budge either up or down?

What do I do?

Navy Vietnam Vet
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #2

Well it shouldn't retract too far on its own. Sounds like a stop/switch came loose internally and allowed the gearing to disconnect.Time to take it apart...

KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

Took the Top Cover off yesterday after it happened, but couldn't see where there was any access to the Jack itself?

This ol' Farm boy is Lost with this new contraption! Hi-Lift or manual trailer jacks are so much simpler even though they take more time and effort.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 08-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
Site Team

If the motor runs, but the jack doesn't extend, then the gears are not meshing. So, in your original post when you said you retracted it too far, you were right, and, Knotty was right too in saying the stop switch didn't work properly (or something like that).

The trouble is, even if you get it to come down again, it's probably going to do the same thing next time you retract it unless you can get the stop switch or gear disengagement mechanism fixed. It's possible you could get into it properly if you could take it off the trailer tongue. I can't believe the access to the gear box is sealed.

My only other suggestion would be to bang on the foot (downwards) with something, which MAY cause the gearing to reengage. Still though, something internal is not right and that needs to be fixed or you will continue to have this problem.

If none of this works, you may have to replace the jack. They cost about $150 as I recall, but are available from a number of sources.

- Jack
Old 08-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #5

thanks Jack, that was everything I wanted to say, but was too lazy to try to type it all out on my phone!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Site Team

I DO tend to be "talkative" don't I?

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

Thanks guys! I'd thought about just applying downward pressure somehow while attempting to lower it. So, that's probably what I'll try 1st.

The salesman I purchased the Hi-Lo from did say something about NOT over extending it, but I thought he was just talking about having plenty of Blocks to set it on the ground surface. Not in both directions!
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 08-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #8

What kind is it? Maybe broke a shear pin?

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #9

Shear pin! Doh! So obvious!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnottyRig View Post
Well it shouldn't retract too far on its own. Sounds like a stop/switch came loose internally and allowed the gearing to disconnect.Time to take it apart...
I have a 3500lb Barker jack and it doesn't have a limit switch to keep from raising to high or low. Ask me how I know

Old 08-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #11

X 2 on a shear pin. Look the model up on line and see if you can find an exploded view of it. Did you get any manuals or information sheets when you bought the trailer? Maybe there is one on the jack.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #12

Default HiLo problems

Hi Bruce; I have the Atwood heavy duty power jack on my HiLo and have the owners manual. In over 45 years of pulling RVs I have never seen a power jack that had limit/stop switches. The Atwood manual shows NO shear pin. When you reach the extended or retracked limit a motor clutch releases and you will hear a clicking noise. If you do not release the raise/lower power switch the jack may bind. To unbind it on the heavy duty jack, the jack came with a manual override jack handle that you put into an alignment tube on the front of the jack motor unit and rotate the handle clockwise to lower the camper or counterclockwise to raise the camper. This should unbind the jack. First figure out if you have the Atwood HEAVY Duty jack. If you do, do you have the jack handel? If you should have the AtWood standard & lighweight jack then the process to unbind it will be different. I would have to give you that in another message. The heavy duty jack has the alignment tube for the jack handle and may also have a builtin light. The lightweight will not. You could also have a worn worm gear, bent inner ram, or clutch fault. Hope this helps.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
sam

Default Go on line for your particular model

Wow,our forum members gave you alot of spot on advice. Maybe utube has something that will help you. Exhaust all possibilities before you spend $ on a new one. When we got our HiLo we knew nothing about Power jacks and ours was noisy. Ended up buying a new one when it probably just needed grease.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #14

When I did it.......

Check for an in line fuse.
Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #15

Wow Bruce - guess when I said "should", I shoulda clarified that with "if the designers had any sense there would be a limit switch". Yeesh, no limit switch on a motor like that. And what they charge for these units! And no shear pin too!

Do they even use metal gears in them, or are they nylon?

Good info
Old 08-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #16

Ultra-jack prior to 2010 has a shear pin. The only one I can find, I think the rest are like Jim L said they have a clutch.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #17
Site Team

Jim, that was a great post! You clearly know more about these jacks than most of the rest of us. A clutch makes perfect sense.

Knotty, I have to believe they have metal gears inside. I use mine to lift the tongue and rear of my F150 so I can swing the spring bars of my WDH onto the L-brackets. I can't imagine nylon gears would stand up to that kind of abuse.

- Jack
Old 08-18-2017, 12:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
Hi Bruce; I have the Atwood heavy duty power jack on my HiLo and have the owners manual. In over 45 years of pulling RVs I have never seen a power jack that had limit/stop switches. The Atwood manual shows NO shear pin. When you reach the extended or retracked limit a motor clutch releases and you will hear a clicking noise. If you do not release the raise/lower power switch the jack may bind. To unbind it on the heavy duty jack, the jack came with a manual override jack handle that you put into an alignment tube on the front of the jack motor unit and rotate the handle clockwise to lower the camper or counterclockwise to raise the camper. This should unbind the jack. First figure out if you have the Atwood HEAVY Duty jack. If you do, do you have the jack handel? If you should have the AtWood standard & lighweight jack then the process to unbind it will be different. I would have to give you that in another message. The heavy duty jack has the alignment tube for the jack handle and may also have a builtin light. The lightweight will not. You could also have a worn worm gear, bent inner ram, or clutch fault. Hope this helps.
Thanks Jim! I didn't get to it today cause I'm transferring Everything from the Old to the "New", and weighing stuff as I go too. Never bothered on the old Classic! Now, I have to learn a new way of storing everything. Got an annual two week Music Festival in just over 2 weeks. Hopefully, I'll have my voice back and be able to sing.

This jack has been weathered enough that there is NO identification left on it. So, I have NO idea what type it is. And, the "Clicking Noise" is all I hear! However, I do recall that there is a small Jack Handle in the Cabinet just by the door, and I have/had NO idea what it was for. Perhaps tomorrow evening I'll check it out.

Got a "Fasting" Lab at the V.A. in the morning, and hopefully will get a reading on a Brain MRI I had a month ago to see IF the effects of West Nile (Nueroinvasive Disease) put a Lession on my Brain like a friend has. Hope there is one, so then there will be something that can be treated. Getting 'OLD' at a slow steady pace is one thing, But at the Snap of the Fingers, it's not the same. 18 months now, and research says I have to put up with this crud for another 2-1/2 years.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 08-18-2017, 01:03 AM   #19

Default etrailer solution

I posted an "Ask" message with etrailer shortly after begining this Thread. Finally got an answer this evening, but it looks to me like they would rather Sell me a "New" one for $322.65 Plus:

expert reply by: Jameson C: "On a lot of powered a-frame jacks if you extend or retract them too far you end up warping the nut and screw that allows the jack to travel up and down. When this happens there isn't a way to fix it as the jack is permanently damaged. It's time for a new jack.

"My favorite powered jack to recommend is the Husky Jack part # HT87641 as it has bearings in the screw which allow it to operate quicker and smoother. It also shuts off automatically before topping or bottoming out. Other jacks will allow you to go too far with the jack but in doing so you damage the threads of the screw."

Think I'll still try the Crank Handle tomorrow evening. For now, although it's a hassle & more Time consuming, Hi-Lift jacks do the trick.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 08-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #20
Site Team

I like the design of the Husky jack too. Amazon has the same one for $199.92 here: https://smile.amazon.com/Husky-HB450...FCX71KWS09CPC8

It's the same model as the one recommended but without the wireless remote control. That model is also for sale at Amazon for $248.78.

- Jack