Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Default Excursion diesel and 27 Towlite trip

Just returned from a 2 week'er, towing our 27T from Reno to Roseburg Oregon and back, over lots of passes (I-5). Followed like a lovesick puppy. . We use a WD hitch, and have sway bars on Excursion.

As usual, we were the lone HiLo at campsites, and got the good-natured normal 'must be a trailer for midgets' comments! Our reply, "Instant trailer - just add water!".

Got 13+ mpg with our 7.3 liter diesel overall, and we kept our speed at 65 mph. Love filling that 44 gallon tank at $4.20/gallon - yipes!

Love the late season camping as most sites were relatively vacated by the summer crowd.

See you at camp!

Reno and DW

Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
gus

Reno !! that is a little high for the gas price, we finally got the prices around 3.57, and hopefully will continue to go lower, what kind of mpg do you get without towing ?

gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #3

As another Reno resident, welcome.
Actually, Reno has been my nick name for over 40 years, even before I moved to Reno.

We live just over the hill from Sacramento, and SF, California. Home of some of the highest gas prices in the nation. That is our gas supplier!
But we have exceptional skiing and great weather, no tornado's or humidity.

I own an 1985 21 funchaser.

reno (steve)and vicki
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #4

Actually, this is the first trip we took of any length with the Excursion. Based on my experience with the same engine in a F250 truck, also on vacation, we should get around 17-18 mpg on highway unloaded.

The F250 was equipped with a Gear Vendor axillary transmission, which basically adds 5 in-between gears, and makes towing so much easier. It also boosts mpg by about 10%.

Thanks for replies

Reno
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote