Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

Default F150xl towing capabilities

Hello, I am considering buying a 2007 22 ft hi lo, weight is 3900. I have a f150xl 4.6l, rear axle is 3.08, 5 speed manual. Can my truck handle this? I have seen everything from 2000 pounds to 10,000 pounds towing capabilities on the internet and the owners manual is not much help. I do have the heavy duty trailer hitch.
Thanks for any help,
Marten

marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #2

Did you look at the Trailer Life Towing Guide:Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine
There is one for 2007 there.

Also, here is a list of the Ford towing guides: Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

I didn't see any listing for 3.08 rear-ends.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

Although I think this is utterly crazy, my friend pulled his 7000 pound boat (plus large trailer) from LA to Mobile, AL. (over the Rockies) with his 1997 F150. His engine was the small V8 (I'm thinking the same one you speak of). His has an automatic tranny - but I've no clue to what gears. If it helps he has the Lariet trim line edition.

His boat trailer also was only equipped with surge brakes.

As a german child, he survived our bombers of WW2 Germany and this. Me thinks he's nearly at the end of good luck.

With all that said, I'd guess with a brake controller you'll have no trouble. Add a weight dist. hitch for extra piece of mind.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #4

Marten. You do not have a location in your profile. Where do you live and where do you plan to take this?
If not in the Rockies or other mountains of the southwest you may be fine but you may not get in 5th gear very often.
I pulled my 3500# fun chaser over mountains here in AZ with my small V8 Chevy and she did fine with an automatic. Be patient and you should be fine.
If you want to be at camp first you may not be very happy.

Rick
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
Site Team

My only concern is the axle ratio. My F150 with the 5.4L engine and factory tow package has a 3.77 rear axle.

But, I pulled my trailer with a Nissan 6 cyl Frontier before I got the Ford and I pulled it over Red Mountain and Monarch Passes in Colorado (both above 11,000 ft). It did it without complaining, but I was in 1st gear on the upslopes. (It does it easily in 2nd gear with the Ford).

I bet you won't be using 5th gear too much, unless you have a mild downslope. And, I suspect you'll be down to 1st or 2nd very quickly if the upgrade is above 5%.

I wouldn't try to pull it up the western climb to Cedar Breaks National Monument in Utah. The upslope there is 13%. My Ford did the tow in 1st gear.

- Jack
Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #6

I agree with Jack. I had a 97' f150 lariat 4x4 and pulled my 2001 22' for two years. My biggest issue was GVWR but those older f150s were listed with a maximum of only 6000 lb. I also had the 4.6- but I had a 3.55 rear end. The tow capacity goes down as the gear number goes down.

My other issue with that motor was that it struggled even on mild grade inclines- meaning lots of transmission hunting and downshifting . You should Definitely use the "tow" mode most of the time. I got rid of the truck this year for something with a bigger engine and more load capacity.

My trailer(older) is probably a little bit heavier than the later ones. The newer f150s had more payload. So- you should be ok. However- you may want to eventually look at upgrading the truck if you are towing distances a lot and doing hills. My actual loaded trailer weight is closer to 4500lb. Tongue weight is 700lb range when I include the hitch----and that all counts towards payload.

Check your owner's manual on the truck. Everything you need to know should be int there regarding your capacities for that vehicle. What year F150 is it??

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote