Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
sam

Default Ford f250 tire dilemma

One of the tires on our Ford f250 HD 4x4 wore eneven when the ubolt was broken/cracked. I called Dunn Tire to see about getting another tire then alignment. I was informed that the tire was discontinued. NY state law says on a 4x4 that all tires must be the same make. Really mad because we just bought these tires on 11/13/12. Plenty of good thread left on them. It is a cooper tire(made in the USA). Dean Trail Cat LT235/85R16 E BW. It is a 1997. Searched the internet and so far no luck finding a new or used one. DH and I have owned many cars/trucks in our life time and have never had this happen to us. Today I will call the specialty shop for advice. Don't know if the guy at the tire store is full of "beans". Even if we have to purchase another set of tires at 634.00 plus tax I am afraid to buy any tires and run into the same problem. I could try to sell the used tires. Any advice. Thanks Sam My daughter says she will search the net for me today. Clarification it is a 1997 Ford super cab truck that is well kept up with a matching fiberglass cap and an 8ft. bed. We call it "the tank". When we tow we get 10-12 miles per gallon.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
gus

Sam I thought we had strict laws in GA, can't believe they have to be the same make, heck we see mismatched brands, mismatched sizes, no treads, snow tires mixed with all seasons, you live in a state were they require the same brand so they can make more money by failing inspections, unless that brand of tires were defected and they did a massive recall, there's got to be someone who's got them, just visite used tire shops.

gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

try calling cooper tire directly and ask them to put out feelers directly to their dealers and they may be able to help you
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
sam

Default Needing tire

Thank you for the replies. You gave me a few more ideas to follow up on.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #5

Dean Trailcat LT All Season LT235/85R16 Tires for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales
raamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #6

My question to Cooper would be if they are going to stand behind their product.

Time for a serious customer support call.
The person you spoke to may be blowing smoke up your skirt.

steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
One of the tires on our Ford f250 HD 4x4 wore eneven when the ubolt was broken/cracked. I called Dunn Tire to see about getting another tire then alignment. I was informed that the tire was discontinued. NY state law says on a 4x4 that all tires must be the same make. Really mad because we just bought these tires on 11/13/12. Plenty of good thread left on them. It is a cooper tire(made in the USA). Dean Trail Cat LT235/85R16 E BW. It is a 1997. Searched the internet and so far no luck finding a new or used one. DH and I have owned many cars/trucks in our life time and have never had this happen to us. Today I will call the specialty shop for advice. Don't know if the guy at the tire store is full of "beans". Even if we have to purchase another set of tires at 634.00 plus tax I am afraid to buy any tires and run into the same problem. I could try to sell the used tires. Any advice. Thanks Sam My daughter says she will search the net for me today. Clarification it is a 1997 Ford super cab truck that is well kept up with a matching fiberglass cap and an 8ft. bed. We call it "the tank". When we tow we get 10-12 miles per gallon.
Sam,

There is no law in NY requiring all four tires to match. Dunn Tire is simply trying to get you to buy four new tires. With a 4 wheel drive vehicle it is highly recommended that all four tires match and have a uniform tread depth to ensure that all four tires are rotating at the same speed when the vehicle is in 4 wheel drive. This prevents damage to the transfer case and transmission. If you have at least two tires with full tread, you can purchase two new tires with a similar tread pattern and still be fine.