Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

Default Help me choose a tire for my TV

Towing a 2206 towlite at 3500lbs., using a WDH and brake controller (both truck and trailer sitting level). Towing with a 06 Toyota tacoma prerunner 4.0 liter V-6 with a gvwr of 6500lbs.
Tires I have now are michelin LTX m/s 2 with 40,000 miles with good tread. Looking to replace soon. Starting from a dead stop, tires brake loose from not enough traction. This would happien even on dry blacktop, but more often from the paint on the road or wet pavement. The michelin's have preformed very well other than towing with a heavier trailer. The tread pattern is quite small for a highway/mud&snow tire, could this be a factor?
What are you running? Should I look at dunlop or firestone?

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #2

Does it have a locking/anti-slip rear axle? That comes as part of the tow package. I assume it is to prevent the problem such as yours. As far as tires go, I have no idea what one would give the best traction. I have the stock Bridgestone that came from the factory.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Hey Les, what pressure are you running in those tires? I have some X Radial LT2s on my tundra which are a comparable tire (Yours are the next step up) and haven't had that problem. They stick like glue but I only have 20K on them.
Since your tires still have good tread (And I believe they are an 80,000 mile tire), I don't think it's the tires fault. Does the tire break loose all the time or only when towing?
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballsocal View Post
Hey Les, what pressure are you running in those tires? I have some X Radial LT2s on my tundra which are a comparable tire (Yours are the next step up) and haven't had that problem. They stick like glue but I only have 20K on them.
Since your tires still have good tread (And I believe they are an 80,000 mile tire), I don't think it's the tires fault. Does the tire break loose all the time or only when towing?
I'm running 35psi, breaks loose only when towing.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #5

Your WDH is set with to much tension on the spring bars. It's literally trying to pull the rear tires of your truck up off the ground. Try dropping 2 links on the chains and see how it rides. Your tire pressure is perfect, maybe slightly low for towing purposes but that's what I leave mine at also.

Edited to say you also may have way to much weight on the back of the trailer and it's lifting the tongue but I doubt you could hitch up if that was the case.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballsocal View Post
Your WDH is set with to much tension on the spring bars. It's literally trying to pull the rear tires of your truck up off the ground. Try dropping 2 links on the chains and see how it rides. Your tire pressure is perfect, maybe slightly low for towing purposes but that's what I leave mine at also.

Edited to say you also may have way to much weight on the back of the trailer and it's lifting the tongue but I doubt you could hitch up if that was the case.
would less on the wdh, and add on air bags to the rear axle help?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #7

Were you the guy that had a problem pulling out of a slippery campground earlier in the year?

In any event, I would just try letting out 2 links on the chains first. If the truck sags uncomfortably, then worry about the bags. With enough weight on the tongue of the trailer, your truck shouldn't lose traction, even with bald tires.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #8

The above post are correct. You are lifting your rear end up with the wdh or you have somehow grossly overloaded the rear end of the HiLo and I don't think this is the case. The only things air bags will do is flatten your billfold. I run the Michelin LTXs on my 6000 + lb truck an I don't think there is a better tire. I got 72,000 miles on my last set. Get the wdh set properly and I think it will cure your problem
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Yes, try to adjust the WDH hitch so that the weight of the trailer tongue compresses the front and rear suspension of the tow vehicle exactly the same. If you can't get it perfect, the rear should be the one that compresses a bit more. (But not a LOT more.)

- Jack