Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #21

Thanks Jack, always good to get a second recommendation.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Kay View Post
Seriously? Sway bars are only $25? We saw someone at a campground and he said $200 - $300 I think. Anyways, we had some relatives give us some but haven't used them yet. Our camper is parked in our yard and we're just about ready to move into it for the entire summer while our house is being remodeled. That's why we bought the camper in the first place...and the idea of using it to travel was an aside....But we really enjoyed it.

OH, and I typed 60 mph, but actually it should have been around 60 - 62 that the camper would start to sway. It also depended on the terrain and the wind. You're right about going too fast though. I tend to have a lead foot, unlike my slow and patient dh.

Thanks again.

Mary Kay
Are we are talking Spring bars or Sway bars here? I see no need for sway bars if you have a heavy duty tow vehicle and a WDH equipped with rated Spring Bars. Maybe it is just my tow vehicle, but with the WDH and the Spring bars, I have no sway whatsoever and see no need for sway bars. Am I wrong here? My TV is a 2000 F250 4x4 7.3L diesel with added stainless steel leaf springs making the load bearing weight 1.5 T. These springs were added when I bought a toy hauler with 1800# pin weight on a goose neck hook-up..

I found a WDH at an estate sale without the Spring bars. After researching on the internet, I found a set of spring bars that worked perfectly, here:

Curt Replacement Round Spring Bars with Chain Fasteners, 800 lbs
Part No 17105
Warranty 1 YEAR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE
Shipped :1
1Z416AT40300286881 $134.28
Discount -$20.14 $114.14

Advance Auto Parts: Search Results for round spring bars

You can get them for either 600, 800, or 1000 pound tongue weights and for a very reasonable price, delivered postage paid to your front door and they fit my hitch perfectly. With the $15 cost of the WDH at the estate sale and a little oil and clean up of the somewhat rusty WDH, plus the cost of the Round Spring bars, I got off very nicely compared to the $300 to $400 + offerings I found online.

The TV is a 'rough rider' until you hook up to a trailer. Then it smooths out just great. We seldom use it until we are ready to hit the road with our Hi Lo

Jerry Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote