Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #21

So-we seem to be running this discussion on two different threads. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't finding past posts and now I get it. Im sticking with this one. Tinovack- on the OTHER thread you seemed a tinge annoyed with my post from last night and I just wanted to say I wasn't trying to be annoying or condescending in case thats how you read it. That said, having these conversations online usually does not lend itself well to reading facial expressions and voice tone and all the other things that go into communication so I think we both deserve the benefit of the doubt and I certainly extend that to you. THAT said, Jack's and others explanations of the WDH are pretty spot on and it is not uncommon for folks just getting into all of this to be surprised about WDHs and tongue weight and all sorts of things. We've all been there at some point. Also- most of us are being a bit incredulous that it is not the larger ball for that year trailer but, we have all seen crazier things so who knows? Its possible you somehow ended up with a hitch that is designed for a two inch ball. ( as an example, my "power " toggle switch for the trailer operates opposite of everybody else's and I argued with people online for about a year on that one). However, if you can hook the thing up and get it to an RV dealer or anybody that sells utility trailer etc I bet that would be a big help to you and good starting spot. Hang in there, it will work itself out eventually and you will have learned a hell of a lot by the time you get it figured out.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #22

Yes I was wondering where some missing posts were. I have gone out to my trailer three times with the 2-5/16" ball. I crawled underneath and looked up. There doesnt seem to be anything obstructing the opening. The 2" ball slides in nicely. It rolls around slightly but the guy said it is the vertical fit that is important? so I think its good. My mild frustration is when folks tell me the 2-5/16" hitch ball should fit the 2001 Hi-Lo Towlite. I am doubting myself and I shouldnt. I am frustrated because I want this to proceed faster than it is. But you are correct sometimes I think people are annoyed. Rightly so. I will continue to forge ahead. I appreciate the support.

tlnovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #23
Site Team

tinovack - I should have suggested this earlier, but if you crawl under there, you could measure the diameter of the opening with a ruler. 2-5/16 is just a bit over 2-1/4, and that is considerably different than 2.0". Measure the opening "crosswise", not where the latch is. If it's indeed just a tiny bit over 2", then that's your ball size. However, if you get more like 2-1/4+ in most directions, then your hitch opening must be distorted, and it could possibly be reshaped.

Another point I could have mentioned: The way a WDH works, it forces the ball tightly into the hitch on the trailer tongue (due to the forces generated by transferring tongue weight to the tow vehicle's and the trailer's axles. This makes it very unlikely, in my opinion, that you'd ever suffer a trailer uncoupling incident when towing. So, that's an added feature of WDH's that seems to never be talked about.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #24

I measured the opening and it appears to be 2". The neighbor tried both hitch balls and couldnt get the 2-5/16" in. I called the tow truck owner (again) and he said if the ball goes in too easily then its probably the wrong size. The 2" does go in easily. I mentioned the WDH and he said its not a bad idea but if you dont have it tightened correctly it wont help you. He said my Hi-Lo is set up for one but the bars went missing right before or during the sale to me. (Great). I was wondering what those clamps were for. He said because he has a big truck he probably wouldnt bother with it and he doesnt drive fast or far. I told him my van weighs around 5,000 lbs. and the Hi-Lo is under 5,000 lbs. So IDK.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #25
Site Team

The "clamps" were probably the brackets or hooks, depending on the kind of WDH that was used before that were attached to the tongue frame. That's a minor part of the WDH, and you get the correct ones when you get the hitch itself. Yes, if the hitch is not set up right, it doesn't do a lot to hold things together, but it doesn't do any weight transfer either.

Without a WDH, ALL the weight of your trailer tongue is being carried on your tow vehicle's rear axle. This can easily overload it and it also lifts the front of the tow vehicle, reducing the weight on the front (steering) wheels, reducing the traction they have. Additionally, if you have to brake hard while towing, if you don't have a WDH, the trailer tongue pushes the rear of your tow vehicle down further, raising the nose more. Since most braking in a vehicle is supposed to be done by the front wheels, you are suddenly mostly dependent on the inferior rear brakes.

I, and almost everyone else in this forum, think you NEED a WDH with sway control. Towing is somewhat more dangerous than driving without a trailer. You do NOT want to make things worse. A WDH is NOT difficult to couple to the trailer once you have it set up during initial installation. There's only one additional step over coupling without a WDH, you attach the spring bars. It takes me about 2 minutes to do this (one minute per side).

If your hitch opening measures 2" , then that's the ball size you need. A WDH can be ordered with a 2" ball. A 2" ball WILL go into a 2" hitch easily. It just won't rattle around once in, and the latch will keep if from coming out (if adjusted properly).

So that's my advice, based on what you're telling us. If anyone else wants to chime in, I hope they do, but I think I'm done.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #26

Thank you.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #27

Did you try raising the front of the trailer up with the 2" ball mounted on the van to see if the trailer can raise the van via the hitch being lifted/cranked up? If the hitch is properly adjusted to the ball and the ball is the proper size you should be able to lift the van appreciably without the ball dropping out of the hitch. I think I said that right.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #28

Lol. I am SURE everyone is tired of my situation (I know I am) but if someone posts I will reply. Today I am going out to a professional/commercial trailer business who has been in business for decades. The manager is very nice. He is willing to work with me and explain things. At this point I will be asking for an estimate to upgrade my trailer to accomodate from a 2" ball receiver to 2-5/16". They have three certified welders and he said he could do it and it would take three hours. His opinion (without seeing it mind you) was that I could probably go either way. Its like a wierd, unique situation. (Either stay with the 2" or go bigger). No one has a definitive answer. I want the best adjustable (vertical) ball mount I can find. I want something easy. I also want the option of using both ball sizes. I will sit down with him and discuss everything. Including a WDH which everyone is adamant about. This is so complicated to me and I am trying to sort it out. Today will be a good start I hope. Thinking about and comparing the 2" and the 2-5/16" side by side I have no doubt I want the latter. And I have to wonder why Hi-��Lo changed to the bigger ball size. Duh right? So that is where I am. He hasnt even seen the trailer yet so we will determine all of this when I take it out there.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #29

sounds like a great plan. Good luck.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #30

The learning curve can be pretty steep, and many decisions can impact the safety of you and your family. Escapees, an organization that caters to full-time RV'ers (but welcomes weekenders like myself) puts on a 3 day "RV Bootcamp" that you might find very informative.

They have these bootcamps (on the west coast) in Las Vegas, Hemet, CA, Congress, AZ

Here's a link: https://www.escapees.com/community-c...ers-boot-camp/

The reviews I've read are great, so it seems to be a worthwhile investment.

Best luck!

piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote