Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Question Installing Equalizer Hitch on HI LO

I have made a deal for a 2006 HI LO 17T. I am getting ready to go pick it up. I have found that my Frontier tow package only needs an electronic brake controller that plugs in. I have a REESE Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control. I would like to install it on the HI LO, but from the pictures I see, the top of the HI LO tongue is covered. How does one install the equalizer brackets on the tongue? If you have done it, tell me how and send me a picture. Thanks.

jtgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

That's a "lid" over the battery and lift motor compartment. I think some people cut it away a bit for brackets. Mine fit ok in front of it but I don't have Reese.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

I did that with our 2310H, we have a Reese hitch as well. Just cut out a piece large enough for brackets to clear, after the brackets have been adjusted to their proper resting place. You can slip the rubber edging that you cut off over the new cut edge.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #4

Default Height of Hitch Ball

Hey I noticed a response from a fellow ham. I am N4DJB since 1981. It appears from pictures I have seen that there is metal diamond plate on top of my tongue. I bought this trailer sight unseen and am going to pick it up when we go out to see our daughters and granddaughers this summer.

Also I need to know what height to make the hitch ball.

Send me a picture of your install K3EXU.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgoodman View Post
Hey I noticed a response from a fellow ham. I am N4DJB since 1981. It appears from pictures I have seen that there is metal diamond plate on top of my tongue. I bought this trailer sight unseen and am going to pick it up when we go out to see our daughters and granddaughers this summer.

Howdy, another HAM here ((KG6ISP). Jack (JackandJanet) can probably answer the hitchball height question as he has the same model as yours, I believe.

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Hi JT, I DO have a 17T trailer, but my hitch is an Equal-I-Zer, not a Reese. However, I suspect the adjustments are fairly similar.

For mine, if the trailer is sitting level on level ground behind the tow truck, the ball on the tow truck's hitch should be at the height of the inside of the tongue coupler or just slightly higher if that is not possible.

Then, when the trailer is hooked up and the WDH chains are applied, the trailer should again sit level and the tow truck should compress equally over both axles (this distributes the tongue weight evenly over the tow vehicle's axles).

- Jack
Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgoodman View Post

Here it is: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...html#post25357
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #8

Thanks for your response.

How high is the top of your hitch ball on your tow vehicle sitting on level ground?
Old 05-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #9
Site Team

I can't tell you right now, because I'm 200 miles away from my truck, visiting friends in Tucson. But, even if I WAS home, I doubt knowing the hitch ball height would help you much because I had my trailer frame raised over the axles so I could mount larger tires.

I think my trailer sits about 2" higher than the stock height now and my hitch ball height was raised accordingly.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer hitch, installation, sway control