Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #1

Default "Jacked Up" HiLo

Has anyone here tried to raise the ground clearance of their HiLo by adjusting the spring shackle height? I would really like to do this to mine to better protect the plumbing and the rear bumper from speed bumps and steep angled driveways but don't know how. Pictures would be great but any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Towlighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #2

Default springs and schackles

First you need to go under your trailer and look, most Hi-Lo's don't have springs. They have tork axels. Older hilos with springs can have there hight rased by replacing the shackles with longer shackles. This will give you about 1" extra clerance. A lot of work for very little change.
Sam

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #3

Thanks Sam. You're right, it's a moot point. I have the torsion axels.
Towlighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #4

I had a 1999 24T that set very low. After hitting and breaking the awing support and the sewer connection, I raised the camper 3" using 2X3 tubing between the frame and the torsion axles. This is the same size tubing the 2499T has as a frame. I welded a flat plate to the 2X3s, I purchased for the lift and drilled holes matching the holes for the axles, 2 in the plate and two in the tubing. I unbolted one side of one axle at a time, bolted in the tubing and then bolted on the axle. Was able to have the parts welded in a shop and painted before installing. Completed the work in my yard in one afternoon.
The camper towed better and extra 3" gave me lots of clearance and gave me more height for sewer drainage.
DaveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Dave, could you post some pictures of what you did? I'm having trouble visualizing it. And, it sounds to me like a good idea!

- Jack
Old 08-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Site Team

I just took my trailer to Arizona Spring here in Tucson. The gentleman (named Ivan) there was quite helpful and the axle is going to be moved forward 3". He also suggested that it would be a good idea to raise my trailer while he was at it and suggested 1 1/2". (He thought the clearance between the tanks and the ground was too small).

So, we'll see how things turn out. He said it will only take a day or two to do the work!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Do the double axel trailers also use those torsion type axels?

mines older and 5th wheel and it has regular leafsprings. hmmm
Old 11-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #8

Default 97 hilo breeze 21 ft

My 97 was low when i got it, the batterybox had been hit and needed repair, the elec cord box had been hit and the 1inch square tube bracket protecting the sewer valves was just a piece of twisted metal and only a matter of time before they needed replaced . I jacked the whole camper up and dropped the two torsion axles. I off road alot so i installed two 2"x 6" 5ft long square tube pieces of metal. I squared up the existing holes in the frame with the existing axles and marked everything. I welded on 4inch pads to run bolts through the existing holes in the frame then through them, grade 8. and then drilled and bolted the axles to bottom of this square tube. I did remove the entrance step and install a two step model in place of the one step to accomidate the raise in height. Ii looks like the newer campers that are on the road with this mod and no getting hung up.
ezfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #9

Default Jack Up

towlighter,
I have not ever raised our Hi Lo and my mind sometimes plays tricks on me. But I do seem to remembered someone added a "riser kit" to their Hi Lo and the kit came from Hi Lo.
It might be very helpful for you to call or e-mail J & R Trailer.

J & R Trailer
(419) 883-3001
jrrepair@centurylink.net

If I'm dreaming about a kit they'll correct that as a myth. But maybe they could give some good ideas, parts and or wisdom on the subject.
If you do please let everyone know what you found out. Thanks
God Bless
Papa

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote