Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Smile Jeep Grand Cherokee-Tow Questions

I have a 2007 Jeep Grand cherokee-4.7L-Tow/Haul system-electric Brakes
Can I reasonably tow a 25C HiLo-any idea on mileage.

JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #2

You need to determine what your vehicle's tow rating is. Look in the owner's manual, check on the Jeep website, Trailer Life Magazine tow ratings, etc. As far as towing a 25C, look in the Forum Reference Library, Brochures, and see what the GVW is on various HiLo models. If you have a particular year and model look for a brochure that is closest year to it. You may see empty weights(before options and cargo), tongue weights, axle weights, and gross weights listed. Some of those changed how they were listed over the years. The rule of thumb is, limit the loaded trailer weight to 80% of the tow vehicle's tow rating. You have to consider what people and cargo you will have in it, and also allowing for spare power for towing on hilly terrain.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
gus

I have a 1997 grand Cherokee with the 5.2 v8 and the 4.7 engine was jeep's replacement for the 5.2 v8, from what I have read the specs on your 4.7 should be comparable to my engine, just more modern and more fuel efficient it all depends if it has the tow package, mainly trans cooler and heavier duty cooling system, if I had the 4.7 engine all that I need to be concerned with is the cooling system, because I believe it has electric cooling fan, where as on mine the fan is belt driven and there is a fan clutch, sometimes the electrical fan malfunction or fan relay fails and cause engine to overheat, and that is true if you are pulling a trailer or not, other than that the jeep is more than capable to pull the trailer.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

make sure you have a trans cooler, and most important on a shorter vehicle, a weight distributing hitch
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #5

Default Grand cherokee update

I talked with the installer of my hitch and it is a Class 3. I am thinking about buying a 24 ' towlite and I have electric brake controller in my jeep. The hitch installer said to try it wo stabilizer bars since I have electric brakes and will probably only pull 5000 lbs. does this sound correct?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Rule of thumb is anything over 17' use a WDH. It it's also recommended by Hi-Lo.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJones View Post
I talked with the installer of my hitch and it is a Class 3. I am thinking about buying a 24 ' towlite and I have electric brake controller in my jeep. The hitch installer said to try it wo stabilizer bars since I have electric brakes and will probably only pull 5000 lbs. does this sound correct?
I used to tow a 4500 lb. trailer with my older model Grand Cherokee. As I recall the Jeep towing guide required the use of a weight distributing hitch for a trailer of this weight.

Check this site for answers: Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Towing
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
gus

joejones, i have been towing my hi lo without wd and it pulls very stable most of time i don't feel it is even there you can always try it and if you feel you need t,o add it, you can always add it later, heck i even pulled tow dolly with a buick park avenue on the dolly and like i said the jeep pulls with no problem at all
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #9

You people are getting WDH and stabilizer bars mixed together in the above posts. You definitely need a WDH and should have a friction stabiliizer or a WDH with dual cams. Are you calling the spring bars on the hitch stabilizer bars?
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 02-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
You people are getting WDH and stabilizer bars mixed together in the above posts. You definitely need a WDH and should have a friction stabiliizer or a WDH with dual cams. Are you calling the spring bars on the hitch stabilizer bars?
It is very common for people to refer to spring bars as stabilizer bars. So I assumed the installer that provided the the advice was actually referring to the spring bars that go with a weight distributing hitch.

Having said that, I fully agree with you. He should use a WDH and a sway control device. I used a WDH and a friction type sway control device with my grand Cherokee as well as my full size truck when towing my previous trailer. The truck did not really need the sway control device, but it definitely was required with the shorter wheelbase of the Jeep.

Raul
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #11

I'm glad you brought up the short wheelbase subject. Many SUV have the towing capacity, but the short wheelbase, as compared to trucks, presents stability problems especially as the trailer length and weight increases. Having a good stable hitch setup is important.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #12

Default another question-Joe Jones

I am looking for a oil, power steering and trans cooler to be installed before I start towing. I noticed Derale has a class 4 Trans cooler but see no such designation for Power steering and oil cooler. Any advice and /or comments.

I will definitely check on the WDH for my Jeep and understand everyone to say that is needed in addition to the Brake controller I already have!

A newby trying to get the pros advice. I flew F-4 fighter in the 70's and pulling a HiLo sounds more dangerous and complicated. thanks!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #13

Smile Grand Cherokee

How about the Reese Straight Line WDS which is rated as Class 4.and will fit my 2" receiver. Joe Jones
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

Quote:
How about the Reese Straight Line WDS which is rated as Class 4.and will fit my 2" receiver. Joe Jones
You can't go wrong with that. It would be better IMHO than a WDH and friction sway control combination. The straight line is working all the time to straighten the TV and trailer where the friction just dampens the movement. It is easier to hitch up also.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #15

Default Reese WD

I see you use that in your setup. It says in my printout that it will not fit trailer frames wider than 2 1/2". Is that an issue with the HiLo frames? Joe
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #16

I'm not aware of that limitation. The mount for the cam arms is a drill and bolt on thing so the frame width wouldn't be an issue and the snap up brackets where you hook the chains is clamp on. If I had the trailer here I would measure it.

When you mount the arms to the frame there are two positions for their mount, one with the arm mount forward or you can flip it and have the mounting hole to the rear. Check the illustrations on the etrailer website: Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Round Bar - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66078
There is a video on installing the hitch: Strait-Line Weight Distribution with Sway Control Installation Video | etrailer.com
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #17

thanks-That video was helpful!! Joe
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
sam

Default Proper hitch set up

HiLo trailer forum members are the best.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #19

Quote:
thanks-That video was helpful!! Joe
Hi Joe; I have the reese straight line WDH on my HiLo and had it on my 34' travel trailer before. On both RV's I had the mounting brackets welded on hitches. Did not have to worry about the width or height of the frame or about bolts loosening later. The hitch works great and I don't think you can go wrong with it.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #20

Smile thanks for help

I appreciate the advice and I am having a Class 4 hitch installed which my Jeep Book says will handle a GVW of 11K lbs and up to 650 TW. With that set up I can install a WDH with no problem..I am also adding a trans cooler and have a PS cooler already installed. so I trying to get ready for the trailer I do not have YET!!!!!Thanks Joe