Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Default Missing parts on my WD system

New to me 1997 22 ft Hi-Lo.
It has the WD parts on the tongue and I have the trunnion bars, but no receiver (vehicle side) or tool.
This one has the "T" shape trunnion bars and flat curve on the other end.
see pics.
I'm wondering if anyone else has this model with hopefully the exact WD parts that are on mine.
I need to source the parts I need, although it does not seem I really have to have it on my 2500.
I think these pics are what would work, but Ive never done this…
thanks

marininn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by marininn View Post
New to me 1997 22 ft Hi-Lo.
It has the WD parts on the tongue and I have the trunnion bars, but no receiver (vehicle side) or tool.
This one has the "T" shape trunnion bars and flat curve on the other end.
see pics.
I'm wondering if anyone else has this model with hopefully the exact WD parts that are on mine.
I need to source the parts I need, although it does not seem I really have to have it on my 2500.
I think these pics are what would work, but Ive never done this…
thanks

Contact these folks and they should be able to help you out. If these are the only pieces you have, looks like you will need the brackets that go one tongue that the bars with chains attach to, the hitch that one piece gets bolted to. Hope that gets you started.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wei...tribution.aspx

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #3

I found a used complete system on craigslist. It uses the similar bars, and is interchangeable with what is on the trailer, I will try it out soon.
It is missing the little safety retainer clip on one side. Wonder if this is a big issue, seems like it is secure in the cups.
thanks
Old 10-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #4

Keep in mind that the trunnion bars come in different tongue weight tensions.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
Keep in mind that the trunnion bars come in different tongue weight tensions.
I am able to keep the trunnion bars that came with the camper and just use the purchased shank. Though the one I just bought has very exactly similar size and shape trunnion bars, so maybe the same spring. He towed big auto trailers , but could not tell me the rating on my purchase.

What's the worse that can happen? Will the spring just be too strong and give a harsh ride?
Old 10-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marininn View Post
I am able to keep the trunnion bars that came with the camper and just use the purchased shank. Though the one I just bought has very exactly similar size and shape trunnion bars, so maybe the same spring. He towed big auto trailers , but could not tell me the rating on my purchase.

What's the worse that can happen? Will the spring just be too strong and give a harsh ride?
WD hitches are basically a big spring and having bars that are too stiff, just like any other over sized spring just doesn't allow enough movement to be effective. Your bars are not GROSSLY over sized and will not doubt work but may be a little tough to get the fine tuning needed in some circumstances. Most likely result will be a little stiffer ride so you may feel the jars and bumps a little more than if you had 700 lb. bars. Give it a try and if you aren't happy with the ride quality go to a lighter bar. Lengthening the chain is not a good correction in my opinion since that will also change the amount of weight you're shifting with the hitch and defeats the purpose of the WD system.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #7
Site Team

I'm going to restate differently what Ruben said, "Lengthening the chain will be the same as not having a WDH". If you lengthen the chain, you return more tongue weight to the rear axle. The whole purpose of the WDH is to shift about half of the tongue weight to the front axle of your tow vehicle. Ideally, you want to add an equal amount of weight to each of the axles.

- Jack
Old 10-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #8

Thanks, I will go with it.
Chain length is directly proportionate to spring tension. Lengthening the chain would reduce the spring tension, but not to zero unless you just had the chain drooped over it. Shorter and more tension (not to mention being too short and binding) I dont know, maybe one link more and it droops….
That was not my plan either.