Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #1

Default Tow mirrors

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with these CIPA tow mirrors. They seem to be rated pretty good from the Amazon reviews, with the exception of a couple bad ones. Thinking for the price that they might be satisfactory. Here's the link

Amazon.com: CIPA 11300 Toyota Tundra Custom Towing Mirrors - Sold as Pair: Automotive

Thanks for responses,

TV = 2008 tundra crewmax
TT= 29B Hilo

PappaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaP View Post
Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with these CIPA tow mirrors. They seem to be rated pretty good from the Amazon reviews, with the exception of a couple bad ones. Thinking for the price that they might be satisfactory. Here's the link

Amazon.com: CIPA 11300 Toyota Tundra Custom Towing Mirrors - Sold as Pair: Automotive

Thanks for responses,

TV = 2008 tundra crewmax
TT= 29B Hilo
I use the same mirrors on my GMC. They work well. The only thing I don't like is that they have a plastic screw that screws into plastic to put the tension that holds the mirrors on. I can see that if you tighten them too tight, you may strip out the threads. Other than that, they were well worth the $79 I paid for mine.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Site Team

I have the same kind of mirrors for my F150. I agree with RCREYES, they work great. Very secure mount and very little vibration. Easy to install and remove.

I had not considered the possibility of the plastic screw being damaged, but you really don't have to screw it in all that tight.

- Jack
Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

I bought ONE at a garage sale years ago- and it works well. However- I only have the passenger side. Same comments as above--- but they don't vibrate around much and still have the view from your regular mirror.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

Very good mirrors for the price. Only caution is to keep track of the separate insert that slips in during installation to receive the screws. I keep these items duck taped to inside of mirror cover during storage. Without them the mirrors are useless.
kengsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
sam

Default Mirrors

Not sure what brand of mirrors we have. Too lazy to go out to our truck and check. Seems like ours screw on as described. One time we were coming home and was close to our parking space. This Ford truck had his mirrors extended and we crunched our passenger side mirror. The next time we drove by he had his mirrors in,smart move. Our Rv dealer sold us just one mirror. You could contact the co. If you wanted the mate. Anyway when we bought the mirrors years ago it didn;t come with the rubber shim for install.Dh Uses a wood shim on the other mirror and it snugs it up nicely. Maybe some day I will take a picture and emaiil the co for a replacement!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #7

Thanks all for your responses. I think for only $50 they should work for my purposes. I don't need a full time mirror.
PappaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #8

Default Aero Towing Mirrors

Much has been written on the HTF regarding detachable tow mirrors. I thought I'd seen every possible style and model, however today I saw a new one!

We're traveling (without our Hi-Lo), and desperate for a trailer fix, I checked out an RV store in central FL, and stumbled on a display of Aero Towing Mirrors. The parts guy stated it was a fairly new product, but since innovative stuff (other than nuclear power and new potato hybrids) is slow to arrive in Idaho, these mirrors could be old stuff for the rest of you.
Other than saying that they clamp on the rim of the existing car mirrors, it would be better if you went to the website and investigated for yourself.

The brochure lists the manuf. as MILENCO and provides an address for JR Products in NY. Website is: JR Products
Click on Aero Mirrors in the banner menu.
My apologies for not providing a better product description, but I'm typing this on my iPhone and it's a pain in the XXX!
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaP View Post

Thanks for responses,

TV = 2008 tundra crewmax
TT= 29B Hilo
I bought a pair for my F150. I like them. They look great, and do not vibrate while driving.

for me the, biggest drawback is the wedge thingy can get lost easily. There is no good place to put the wedge when mirrors are not in use.

I do wish the mirror was larger in the Ford model, though.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
sam

Default Mirror shims

You can duct tape your shims to the mirror when not in use. Or gorilla tape or your favorite brand of tape. This would be a good suggestion for the manufacturer to make something on the backside of the mirror to hold the shim when not in use. On the other hand look how much $ they make selling lost rubber shims. We use a wood shim on one of our mirrors and we bought it years ago when shims were not included.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #11

I replaced my mirrors on my Tacoma by buying an F150 with towing mirrors. It is probably not the most economical alternative but I sure have really good mirrors now.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #12

Hey Rich,
I've seen the mirrors you've upgraded to. Very nice! Also nice that you went with the optional truck that comes with mirrors. You'll get many good travel/towing miles out of both!
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #13

I sure hope so, trucks aren't cheap anymore. The mirrors are huge compared to what I had on the Tacoma. Why Toyota doesn't offer a tow mirror option is beyond me. I think Tundra has them but not Tacoma.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #14

Good move Rich! Thanks for keeping my pension coming in.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I replaced my mirrors on my Tacoma by buying an F150 with towing mirrors. It is probably not the most economical alternative but I sure have really good mirrors now.
I need to do the same thing with my Dakota mirrors.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff View Post
I need to do the same thing with my Dakota mirrors.
Have you thought about installing 98-2001 full-size dodge flip-up towing mirrors onto your Dakota?
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #17

Default Mirrors

I had CIPA mirrors for my Tahoe, and now have a set for my Sequoia. They function great!
Elaine and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #18

Default Recommend these mirrors

Just to follow up on these CIPA mirrors. They worked great on our last camping trip. No real vibration seen, possible shake here and there depending on bumpy roads but still able to see with the mirrors fine.

Yes the screws are made of plastic, so need to be careful of over tightening as pointed out by others. And for storage of the parts, its no problem I put them behind the back seat in my Tundra Crewmax, and keep the screws in a side bin in the drivers door so they don't get lost. I had originally left the screws in place on the mirror, but I think from the back seat being pushed against them it bent one of the plastic screws a little, kind of crooked now, but still works fine. That's the reason for putting the screws in the drivers door bin now.

Overall, I would highly recommend these mirrors to anyone in need of tow mirrors, can't beat the price of these at $50 compared to all the other options out there.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #19

I checked out the cipa mirrors for our Ford F150 but it says they don't fit our 99. Does anybody have any experience with the universal or clip on ones?

Kathy
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #20

Default Aero Mirrors

I have a set of Aero mirrors, I don't recommend them.
They are like the passenger side mirrors that are standard on
vehicles nowadays, they make things look smaller and farther away.
They also vibrate but not to the point where they are not usable.

I bought a pair of CIPA mirrors, I like them better than the Aero mirrors.

tomsher is offline   Reply With Quote