Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Default Tow Vehicle Tires

I about due for new tires on my TV, a 2008 Nissan Frontier, which had OEM Goodrich Longtrail P265/70R16 that are wearing out at 27,000 miles ... 30,000 max.

I like the Cooper A/T3™ which are available as LT or P rated tires. What have HTF members experienced regarding LT vs P rated tires?

Update: I went with the Cooper A/T3's after I went through a lot of mental gymnastics ... There are a lot of good tires to consider but I found Consumers Reports tested the A/T3's and rated them the best all around traction tire. Yes I did get the LT over the P rated tire for the additional capability of the LT tire.

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDgent View Post
I about due for new tires on my TV, a 2008 Nissan Frontier, which had OEM Goodrich Longtrail P265/70R16 that are wearing out at 27,000 miles ... 30,000 max.

I like the Cooper DISCOVERER A/T3™ which are available as LT or P rated tires. What have HTF members experienced regarding LT vs P rated tires?
If I remember right, LT is for light truck and P is for passenger. I've only used LT on my two trucks, a '92 Nissan and a '03 GMC.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #3

Default Tow Vehicle Tires

LT = Light Truck.

Given the option, I would always choose the LT version for my trucks. Pls keep in mind though, I am old school, and do not expect/demand a Cadillac ride from a truck.

I've had good luck with older Coopers on a light P/U (Nissan). Really noticed the difference when finally replacing the old Cooper snow tires, they were LT and had much heavier sidewalls than the newer P rated snow tires. My small size of tire is really hard to find in LT today, and that truck now has a big brother around, for the heavy work, so I didn't worry about the P rating on the new snow tires. IMO, the modern LT truck tires from any decent manufacturer will give a good ride, assuming you don't expect "limo" soft.

Based on input from a wise wrench I know, I went with 2 Firestone Transforce AT's for the front of the 1 ton van I picked up last year. I plan to add 2 of these AT's to the rear, once the existing tires have a bit more wear. I have been pleased with these 'Stones, and had good data to go on - my friend has used them a lot, and I've seen ones that have been on tow trucks for at least 100,000 km - they had some wear noticeable, but had worn very evenly, and were still quite serviceable - pretty impressive to me, given tow truck use.

Even if you don't tow really heavy, or use your truck commercially, I still value the thicker sidewall on an LT - stands up better to encounters with road debris, curbs..... and depending on the camp sites you frequent, big rocks.

Enjoy the Cooper truck tires, I still like mine. (Just realized the date of the post, likely all decided by now, but will add my 2 cents anyway.....).

Best Wishes for the Holidays, Dave.
3930dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default tires

I put hankook atm rf 10 tires on my 3/4 ton f250 and the ride is fantastic for a "e" load rated lt truck tire. they also have a "d" rated 8 ply lt that is even more compatable for your fronteer
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDgent View Post

I like the Cooper A/T3™ which are available as LT or P rated tires. What have HTF members experienced regarding LT vs P rated tires?

Update: I went with the Cooper A/T3's after I went through a lot of mental gymnastics ... There are a lot of good tires to consider but I found Consumers Reports tested the A/T3's and rated them the best all around traction tire. Yes I did get the LT over the P rated tire for the additional capability of the LT tire.
What load rating did you go with C or E ?
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

I went with "e" 285-75-16 load range e, on a fronteer, i would go with a "D", if you go with e, it will ride like a tank, you'll feel every crack in the road

robobd is offline   Reply With Quote