Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #1

Default Toyota 4runner as tow vehicle

Hello everybody, newbie to site and to Hi Lo in general. I searched the site for info on using a toyota 4runner as a tow vehicle for a Hi Lo but couldn't find anything, so I'm posting to see what y'alls experience is. I have a 2005 4runner 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter which I would like to use as a tow vehicle. It's rated to tow 5000 lbs and am looking at a 93 HiLo FL21 which according to NADA is 3000 lbs. Am I asking for trouble trying to tow this? I've heard it's recommended that I put on a tranny cooler and even engine oil cooler. At the very least I think I should flush and refill the tranny. The 2005 doesn't have a tranny dipstick so it's hard to do a visual on the condition of the fluid(bad design). Thank you so much in advance for any advice. Cheers wmac

wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmac View Post
Hello everybody, newbie to site and to Hi Lo in general. I searched the site for info on using a toyota 4runner as a tow vehicle for a Hi Lo but couldn't find anything, so I'm posting to see what y'alls experience is. I have a 2005 4runner 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter which I would like to use as a tow vehicle. It's rated to tow 5000 lbs and am looking at a 93 HiLo FL21 which according to NADA is 3000 lbs. Am I asking for trouble trying to tow this? I've heard it's recommended that I put on a tranny cooler and even engine oil cooler. At the very least I think I should flush and refill the tranny. The 2005 doesn't have a tranny dipstick so it's hard to do a visual on the condition of the fluid(bad design). Thank you so much in advance for any advice. Cheers wmac
Not sure that I would like to tow with a 4-Runner, though several members tow with their Tacoma's. You would probably be pushing it on steep grades.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
We towed our 1996 21FT Towlite with a 2001 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Xcab V6 with a factory tow package and a 5,000 lb tow rating and it was fine towing. What concerned us was that the Tacoma was so much narrower than the trailer that even with extension mirrors we could not see down the sides of the trailer unless we were driving around a corner.

Because of that, we upgraded to a 2006 Toyota Prerunner V6 which is a wider vehicle and gave us the vision that we needed.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. See page 4.

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-conten...Guide-2005.pdf
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

I think you have been given some good advice. Where are you located? Will you be doing flat towing or Mountain towing?
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

thanks for the sound advice. I had mostly been concerned about weight issues but Les makes a good point I hadn't thought about re the width. We live in Tucson but plan to take 5 months this summer and wander up where it cool-that means driving where there's some grade. So probably a mix of driving, but I don't mind going slow.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

thanks Ruben for the link which helped me find that the 4runner has a GCWR of 11,000 and a curb weight of 4045. The fl21 is 3000 so I have less than 4000 for passengers and gear, etc. and obviously would want to stay way below that. Maybe i'll go on a diet and just carry a toothbrush.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
gus

wmac
I like the toothbrush thing, there are jokes about that but I am sure you must have heard it..
I believe your vehicle can handle the weight of the RV, as long as you keep the stuff you carry to a minimum and distribute the weight evenly over the Axles of the hi-lo, then again you can toss your spare tires for both, that is weight reduction if you want to carry fix a flat can.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
thanks Ruben for the link which helped me find that the 4runner has a GCWR of 11,000 and a curb weight of 4045. The fl21 is 3000 so I have less than 4000 for passengers and gear, etc. and obviously would want to stay way below that. Maybe i'll go on a diet and just carry a toothbrush.
As Gus said, be aware of the axle ratings (GAWR) so you don't overload them. Recommend you take the trailer and TV to a scale to get actual weights. RV manufacturers are notorious for underestimating weights. The 3000 listed in the NADA probably does not include any added options, hitch weight, etc. Here is a nice little primer:

RV and Vehicle Weight Definitions
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #10

I suppose you do have to take the weights given by the rv manufacturer with a grain of salt, but what have you all been finding when you weigh your hi lo's at the scale, especially those who might own a fl21? It would be tricky for me to weigh the one I'm interested in before making the purchase as it's not local, so it'd be nice to know what you all have found on your own trailers with regard to actual weight/weight claimed by manufacturer. With regard to the width of the trailer compared to my tv- I could probably get some good mirrors to help look around the tt, is that not right? thanks for all the good advice!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #11
gus

on my 21ft classic, I think the prior owner had the trailer checked at the scale and it was 3970 lb. my towing vehicle is not very wide either, I never felt I needed any external mirrors to see behind, I am more concerned with the length of the overall tv and trailer length, I think they add up to about 37 ft, and it feels a little too tight when stopping at small gas stations, I always feel like I am about to scrape a gas pump if I am not careful.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
I suppose you do have to take the weights given by the rv manufacturer with a grain of salt, but what have you all been finding when you weigh your hi lo's at the scale, especially those who might own a fl21? It would be tricky for me to weigh the one I'm interested in before making the purchase as it's not local, so it'd be nice to know what you all have found on your own trailers with regard to actual weight/weight claimed by manufacturer. With regard to the width of the trailer compared to my tv- I could probably get some good mirrors to help look around the tt, is that not right? thanks for all the good advice!
If I remember correctly, the weights given are for just the trailer without any accessories, like the swing away bed, awning, spare tire, AC unit. Best bet is to get it on a CAT scale to get the true weight.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
Site Team

If my trailer is any example, the "stated weight" is just a WAG. I encourage everyone to get a physical weight of their trailers. Mine weighed about 500# more than the specs said it should.

- Jack
Old 04-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #14

Hi guy;
I have a 2007 4-Runner, 6 cyl. same as you, and I use it to pull a 23' Hi-Lo Classic with a Gross wt. of 6000 lbs. I usually pull it at 5000 +/- 300.
I do have an aftermarket tranny cooler on it, which I do to all my cars regardless of towing or not. I have replaced the weight carrying hitch with a Husky wt. dist. hitch, and have installed two ' 3/8"X 7" eye bolts' using the OEM hitch screw anchor nuts. The bolts go down to a 3/8"X 8" Grade 5 steel bar, that goes under the Husky hitch. reason?
The hitch is rated for 6000/600 lbs. and my tongue weight is around 750 lbs. So the extra support is helpful here. If you send me an e-mail address, I can send some photos to you of them.
I have found a lot of play between the hitch shank and the receiver, so I use two .060 shims, one each, top and side, drilled hole for pin, giving me .004" clearance. I grease the shank for installation, to preclude wear, and it works just super. No noise, no clanking, no wear. Been doing this for six years now.
I also replaced my 265-70 tires, (when it was time) with 255-70, (slightly smaller dia.) to help the tranny and drivetrain to handle a full load. The speedo is out about 2%, that's all; and in 4th. gear, 2500 RPM gives me 95 KPH. true. (gps reading) On our 400 series highways, I can go 100 KPH. at 2650 RPM.
I have been towing this Hi-Lo for about six years now, and the 4-Runner handles it just fine, including going up Vermont's mountains at 95 D. F temps.
The Hi-Lo is a very nice 'home' away from home, and the only other RV I would desire is an Airstream; but too expensive.
Mel Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #15

See my 4-Runner reply below.
Mel Goddard
Old 04-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #16

I have a 2308 Classic, pulled by a Toyota 4-Runner, and I definitely need extended mirrors. AS regards, factory weight on the placard: Mine was also about 500 lbs more than stated.
That placard is a legal document, at least in Canada, and the manufactures are taking their chances on this one.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #17

FYI: 'We' call your WAG, a SWAG: "SCIENTIFIC WILD ASSED GUESS."
Old 04-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Goddard View Post
FYI: 'We' call your WAG, a SWAG: "SCIENTIFIC WILD ASSED GUESS."
I doubt there's much "science" in it!

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #19

SOMEWHERE in this 'goofey' web-site are a number of answers to the 4-Runner and tow mirror questions. I'm told that my 100+ word reply is to short, and 'they' want at least "10 characters" Go figure.
And when I try to 'delete' this message, as redundant, it doesn't work.
WEBMASTER: Do your job and make this thing work as when we follow 'instructions'!
Old 04-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #20

wmac: I use a 2007 4-runner, 6 cyl. to tow a 2308C with a published gross wt. of 6000lbs. I usually tow around 5000+/- 250 or so.
the car handles it quite well for the last six years, no sway control, (not needed) and the only concessions that I have made was to replace the OEM 5000 lb. wt. carrying hitch with a Husky 6000 lb. wt. dist. hitch. Also, when it came time to replace the tires, I downsized from 265-70 to 255-70, to give the drivetrain a break. The speedo error is only 2%, and my GPS handles that quite well.
The 'runner' will absolutely handle a 5000+ lb. Hi-Lo quite well.
Cheers
Mel